Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to site. I have a 2007 2 door Rubicon,love it. Last year we noticed when it was garaged( we have a 1 car garage & he only gets to stay in there when the top is off), we smelled a fuel/oily odor. It has been very confusing. We even brought it to our local mechanic & they could not find any leaks or anywhere the smell could be coming from. Not sure if this is related, but when we fill it up with gas we have to stop at 12 gallons because the automatic shut off doesn't work and gas spills out. When the tank is below half full, there is no smell in the garage. We just filled up and now the smell is back, but no spillage happened and no signs of anything on the floor. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
One thing that comes to mind is the expansion of the cold fuel pumped from the ground warming and pushing fumes out the vent.

Another possibility is fuel contamination in the vapor canister by over filling tank and having fuel enter the vent line into the canister.

·
Administrator
10,915 Posts
Welcome to ROF! I think Bill is on-track with the problem - something to do with fuel vapors escaping which shouldn't happen due to emissions stuff like the vapor canister. Is there an engine check light lit on the dash?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I ll agree with what's said above probably something in the evap vent , a bad check valve? and add that with a 10 yr old vehicle the possibility of cracked hoses and brittle plastic fittings in the vapor system increase. Do a complete check of the vapor system plumbing.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 6 of 6 Posts