Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have logic in my head why both could be right and I am too impatient to wait and read the directions when it arrives.

The thing I am hung up on is that I effectively shortened the bar by lifting the vehicle, and that shifted the axle to the passenger side. But the pivot point on the track bar is on axle/passenger side, so why didn't the axle shift towards the drivers side?

Explain, cuz my brain isn't working this morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
I have logic in my head why both could be right and I am too impatient to wait and read the directions when it arrives.

The thing I am hung up on is that I effectively shortened the bar by lifting the vehicle, and that shifted the axle to the passenger side. But the pivot point on the track bar is on axle/passenger side, so why didn't the axle shift towards the drivers side?

Explain, cuz my brain isn't working this morning.
You have the right logic in your head....hmmmmmmmmmm

Can you send some pix of the current set up and also one showing the axel to the passanger side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure what particular set up shots you would like. can you specify for me?

pics are terrible (trying to hold a camera, tape measure, and a board to show the plane of the tire didnt work so well). when held perfectly straight, this shows the passenger side extending out about 1 1/4 to 1 5/16" from the wheel well.

passenger side.


drivers side. bad pic again. attempting to show 1 1/16" extension.
[/img]
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
It almost sounds like your front axle was off from the factory, but I need you to redo your measurements. Here is my reasoning.

Theory: Your front track bar attachement points are driver side frame, passenger side axle. As you lift the vehicle the track bar will scribe an arc down and towards the driverside since the frame point can't move, but the axle can. Now lifted you should have shifted the front axle to the driver side. So you would need to extend the front track bar to recenter the axle. Generally only about 1/4" to 3/8" is necessary.

Your case: Your measurements show that the passenger side is further out. Unfortunately you did those measurements from the tire to the body which for asthetics works well (wheels centered according to the body) . You need to measure from the frame to the Rim/tire. This will tell you how centered your axle is to the frame which is what you really want. Remember your body is on mounts and itself can be off center to the frame. Can you recheck from this point. Thanks.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PBR Stitch said:
You need to measure from the frame to the Rim/tire.

any exact points on each (frame/rim) that would work best?

whan all is said and done i may not even need an adjustment, its not off by much. but its an excuse to tinker.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Try to keep the measurement centered over the axle tube (as close as possible, and measure the other side at the same location. If you keep it close to the center of the axle tube, any tire mis-alignment (slight turn) will be negligable. You are already pretty close, I'm off 1/4".

Ron
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
makes a lot of sense you have a BL that could have shifted....
but tinker away..
let us know how it turns out.
:wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Mike:

This could be the start of Chapter 3 of Jeep Suspension 101. Stitch and mac are both correct - your reference point should be the frame, and the combination of BL and measuring at the fender flare rather than the frame could give you this much variance.

When I lifted Air Rubi, the front went towards the driver's side and the rear went to the passenger's side. This is what we would expect. It was a simple matter to get the front end centered with the adjustable track bar. I used the fender edge rather than the frame as a reference, since I had taken care to keep the body centered when I did my BL. But the rear axle is still off by about 1/2 inch referenced to the rear fender. And centering the rear is a royal PITA compared to the front.

It's a job that needs to be finished this weekend IF IT EVER STOPS FRIGGIN' RAINING HERE!

Jerry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
Mike:

This could be the start of Chapter 3 of Jeep Suspension 101. Stitch and mac are both correct - your reference point should be the frame, and the combination of BL and measuring at the fender flare rather than the frame could give you this much variance.

When I lifted Air Rubi, the front went towards the driver's side and the rear went to the passenger's side. This is what we would expect. It was a simple matter to get the front end centered with the adjustable track bar. I used the fender edge rather than the frame as a reference, since I had taken care to keep the body centered when I did my BL. But the rear axle is still off by about 1/2 inch referenced to the rear fender. And centering the rear is a royal PITA compared to the front.

It's a job that needs to be finished this weekend IF IT EVER STOPS FRIGGIN' RAINING HERE!

Jerry
jerry.....
you can use my Garage..
its dry out here and the garage is cooled .
:wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
4x4mac said:
JerryC said:
Mike:

It's a job that needs to be finished this weekend IF IT EVER STOPS FRIGGIN' RAINING HERE!

Jerry
jerry.....
you can use my Garage..
its dry out here and the garage is cooled .
:wink:
mac, you are a saint. Let's see, if I leave tomorrow night after work, I should be there some time late Monday night. Wait, after I cross the International Dateline, would it be Tuesday or Sunday? Or is it Monday again? Anyway, I'd have to leave your place tonight to make work here on Tuesday. OK. Thanks. Nice garage. Gotta go.

Jerry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
JerryC said:
4x4mac said:
JerryC said:
mac, you are a saint. Let's see, if I leave tomorrow night after work, I should be there some time late Monday night. Wait, after I cross the International Dateline, would it be Tuesday or Sunday? Or is it Monday again? Anyway, I'd have to leave your place tonight to make work here on Tuesday. OK. Thanks. Nice garage. Gotta go.
Jerry
find a buddy in the air force.... load that Rubi on a C-130 and can be in
Nellis AFB in a few hrs... can finish your Rubi and you can make it home
in time for work tues.

hurry guys Jerry`s rubi is in there somewhere!
:wink:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top