Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has nothing to do with Rubicons but I have a question someone out there might be able to answer. 89 Cherokee dana 30 front with out disconnect. If I run a front detroit true trac am I gonna run into big trouble? the jeep is gonna be built with 4.10 gears, 33x1250x15 tires and 6" of lift. some street driving and lots of off road. any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Well for the money, and those axels, I like the Powertrax lock-right.
It generally will release before an axel breaks...

with 33's, you should be fine with anything but the meanest of lockers.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I think it will do just fine. The Dana 30 is pretty stout, your biggest problems will be with the axle u-joints being small, but easy on the go pedal and you will be okay.

G

·
0 Posts
I 2nd that on the axel U-joints...

I actually still own an 84 Cherokee XJ, with 5" of lift on it, and ran 33" tires for 10 years with a Lock-Right up front, no broken axels, but probably at least 5 U-Joints in that time....

G

·
0 Posts
lsd or locker

as long as it isnt full time t-case a locker would be fine, although some steering querks may arise, as far as axles, cant you use late model shafts with the 297 joints?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Maybe some hub locks would be in order as well. In which case, why not just go with a full detroit? You'll never have to worry about stepping on the breaks to get the front end to lock up. I think MileMarker just came out with a new hub lock kit to rival the smaller Warn kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts