Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the front DS can be cut and used on the rear?
I am taking the Jeep in for the infamous "angry sparrows" and if they replace the front DS, I will try and get the old one back, (another guy in our club was successful in getting his back)

If I get mine back, I want to cut it down and put it it the back to save costs on a CV shaft.

TIA
Vince

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I need to remove my frotn shaft and see if my noise goes away. Stupid chatter is driving me nuts. Thought about checking my wheel bearings but haven't heard of anyone having problems with them yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
An easy way to tell is that when it's making the noise shift it into 4 hi. if the noise goes away then come back when you shift into 2 hi then it's probly your front shaft centering ball kit.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
what if it doesn't go away? Also, since the disconnect is in the Tcase which in turn keeps the front shaft spinning even in 2wd, how does that tell?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes the front shaft is always turning but when you engage the tcase the front shaft is supporting weight and my bet is the noise will go away. I guess I'm lucky my front shaft only chirps for a little while then it stops. It only does it after a major wheelin trip a couple of times then it goes away until I submerge my Rubicon again.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I've used wd40 and white lithium grease on all accessable moving points of my shaft and the noise has not changed. I believe it to be somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Lothos the stock shaft is not greasable therefor the noise will not go away. The cheapest route is to take it to a driveshaft shop and have the ends hacked off and new/greasable ends be welded on. Had this done to my 97 Sport and cost should be around $125.

G

·
0 Posts
I had some front Drive Shaft noise I tried adjusting pinion angle but that didn't make a difference. After I aligned my front axle by adjusting the track bar and measuring from the inside of the tire to the frame instead of from the fender the the tire, my front Drive Shaft noise went away. Just something else to check :wink: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts