Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my front drive shaft is making a clicking noise, I've crawled underneath and best l can tell it's actually coming from the shaft itself where the ribs are. I can feel it there as l try moving it. What might this be?

·
2,020 Posts
My buddies’ drive shaft would knock going up and down driveways. That’s how we were alerted to his driveshaft U-joints. Manhandle the u-joints too. We were able to induce the knock with manhandle torque.

·
3,746 Posts
You shouldn't feel any movement in the slip splines. If you do, that would require a new driveshaft. Is you have slop in the u-joints, those can be replaced.

I just picked up a new driveshaft yesterday from Tom Woods - the CV was on back order so it took me just over a month to receive it.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I can l guess I'm going to have to drop the drive shaft and see what I can figure from there. With it in l can't find any slop anywhere, CV joint, U-joint, splines....

·
3,746 Posts
As soon as I can l guess I'm going to have to drop the drive shaft and see what I can figure from there. With it in l can't find any slop anywhere, CV joint, U-joint, splines....
If you get the front wheels off the ground, it should take any tension off the driveshaft and you can test it for slop

Reactions: elff and Norminator

·
2,020 Posts
If you get the front wheels off the ground, it should take any tension off the driveshaft and you can test it for slop
That’s why you get paid the big $$$$ 😀

• Haha
Reactions: elff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know about testing for slop that's why they're called "Exes" now. 😱🤣

1 - 10 of 10 Posts