·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Tom woods, Anybody have one?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Is your stock shaft broken? Just wondering why you need a new front shaft.

TW shafts get decent reviews. I am really happy with my High Angle Driveline (call Jesse).

Edit to Clarify - I am happy with the Rear direvshaft Jesse built for me. I do NOT have a HAD front shaft.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not broken per say, just bent lol! Second factory one that I have bent... :?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Do you know what is causing the "bend"? Reason I ask is if it is something to do with suspension rubbinng, hitting the engine skid when you flex, etc. you may want to address the cause before you decide to buy another one.

If you are just 'lucky' and happen to be hitting rocks, etc - I'd talk to a custom builder who might be able to make a slightly more sturdy shaft for your particular 'needs'...

Like I said, I really like my High Angle...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been caused by a bad line and dropping onto it, the first shaft I dropped off a ledge to fast and jammed a rock into the shaft. Second one, thinking something out in moab did it.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Based on your "causes" I'd kindly suggest the following:

1 - Find the lowest cost front shaft (factory, Tom Woods, High Angle, etc). I say lowest cost because the bends are not quality related they are driving related.
2 - Find a different spotter :wink:
3 - If you don't change spotters, at least give yours a camera :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I hear ya on the spotters! They should be fired! :D I'll keep an eye out on a take off that is near me and scoop that up.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
After I broke my front and had it rebuilt I started going through u-joints way too fast. I bought a Coast from Northridge and have had no problems since.

·
3,368 Posts
Tom woods front here. No problems or issues. Don't remember how much$$$. Haven't even had to replace a u joint yet since I got it 2 or 3 years ago. Mine has a greasable centering ball also with a low profile zerk. Makes it nice, but I have to still take it off to grease it though due to the belly pan and the angle it sits at. But it hasn't been real bad.

·
Registered
256 Posts
JayDub said:
JayDub, you have a front HAD shaft? I notice you have 5.13 gears. No front driveline vibe issues? Do you drive on the highway, and if so how fast? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
jonwood said:
After I broke my front and had it rebuilt I started going through u-joints way too fast. I bought a Coast from Northridge and have had no problems since.
I'm convinced that the aftermarket u-joints don't really fit right, so they wear out fast. I had the exact same experience, and gave up and bought a factory replacement shaft. Haven't had any problems since...

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
KingRubiconMan said:
JayDub said:
JayDub, you have a front HAD shaft? I notice you have 5.13 gears. No front driveline vibe issues? Do you drive on the highway, and if so how fast? Thanks.
My HAD is a rear shaft. I meant that comment as an indication of the quality Jesse builds. I did not mean to mislead anyone.

When the U-joints and centering ball went on my stock front, I had a local guy (Jim's Drivetrain) build me a new stock spec front with a centering ball out of a Ford. Same spec except the Ford ball has a grease fitting. I also rebuilt the original stock shaft as a spare.

I do have 5.13 with 37" tires. I CAN drive 85-90 MPH with my Jeep with no vibes. However, I generally keep the Jeep within the legal speed limit. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts