Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning my search to replacemy lovely stock front bumper with warn winch mount. Now, to first beign a search you need to know the desires of what you want it to perform.

First off my winch only came with a hawse fairlead which I'm none too happy with after having been in the Navy for a number of years working on cranes and such. Roller fairleads exist for a very good reason.

Next comes towing. Presntly I have two ugly plates bolted to the front of my stock bumper in order to hook up a home made towbar. A trailer is nowhere in my near future, so flat towing must be maintained.

Next up we have protection. As many in my neck of the woods can atest, its not the rocks you fear around here its the trees. Narrow bumper won't do, and beefy bumpers with adequately made brush bars work best.

And lastly airflow/winch protection. I have warns winch mount with brush guard on my stock bumper and this does two things. It puts the winch right in the path of airflow to the radiator and also puts the winch up completely exposed to the road elements. I would like to mount the winch down lower out of the way of the radiator, like between the frame rails. This would improve airflow, allow more protection, and also lower the COG a bit up front.

Now, given these needs the only bumper I have been able to find that adequately meets them is the ARB bull bar deluxe. Of course at the price of this bumper, it is well out of my present financial reach. Now, I am considering alternatives and quite possibly making my own ARB immitator. Anyone think I'm nutty yet? :twisted:

·
Registered
92 Posts
New front bumper

An alternative to ARB is Trailready.com their Xcellerator line of front winch bumpers. About same price as ARB $600.00 If I were not going with this I would opt for Durango 57" bumper. Lots of systems out there. GOOD luck!:)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, the trailready one is very nice. The durango doesn't seem wide enough, nor have enough protection for my needs though. Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only hesitancy to the GoThere one or the ARB for that matter is those shackle points look rather thin and wimpy compared to the thick ones on the trailready one.

Also, whats the turnaround like for trailready and has anyone used one?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
http://www.topfiveracks.com/bumpers/index.html

This is a very nice bumper too. I have seen one in person and they are very well built and very well finished. You don't have to get all the bars and crap unless you want them. Might be a cheaper alternative.

I met the owner of the company and saw his products at JJ and that is one hell of a nice bumper.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm running this bumper now and love it! It's tough as hell and if your worried about the tow points take them off and weld on what you like. But they will hold. It also offers more protection than the ABR. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I'm sorry. ARBs and that Go There Engineering thing just look way too clunky on a TJ to me. Get a M.O.R.E. Hi-Clearance front bumper. 50 lbs, it gets the winch down out of the way, has two tow bar mounts if you want them, and you don't look like someone who's worried about running over a kangaroo.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the price of the MORE hi-clearance bumper, i'd rather have the extra protection of the GoThere or Trailready.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had an Olympic 4x4 Rock Winch bumper on since December. I choose it for the clean look and the price ($293)--ordered mine from Windrock Offroad. They have an optional bull bar, but I passed on that as I've been wheeling for 30 years and haven't hit a kangaroo yet.

Trees are another story! The Olympic bumper is wide enough, though, and hell for stout, so that the trees I hit with the corners transfer off onto the fender flares rather than sheet metal. I've given a few trees some pretty good smacks and haven't bent the corners. The bumper has pipes welded inside the corners for reinforcement.

And the Olympic has a hitch receiver in front, so I use a Warn receiver shackle--both for a trailer tie-down and for dragging Isuzus and Toyotas and suchlike out of mudholes.

Probably the best part of the Olympic bumper, though, is that it gives you a nifty place to sit and eat lunch on the trail (see pic above).

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Here is a post I did earlier on my bumpers...front is ARB, rear is Bullettproof:
ok here is the skinny on the bumper....

I recieved the bumper 2 months after I ordered it(bullettproof)...so I was very patient....man..i started trying to type instructions on how to install this bumper but i couldnt...thats what a pain in the butt this was....Rear bumper from bullettproof seems very sturdy...with all the bolts I had to find ways to install and tighten (10 total) plus the additional ones inside the frame and behinde the frame where I could only fit a finger into it should be very strong....anyhow...major comments..

1. Seems like a VERY sturdy bumper...well thought out placement of securing points..
2. tow hitch was minimised to prevent dragg.
3. Rides very high.
4. way too expensive...though....dont know if I would do it again..but they do promise if you break it they will give you a new one.
5. I like the overall construction...BMFG welds the eyelets of their clevis tows all the way through their bumper..not just on the outside.

If youg got questions on the ARB let me know....easy install (unlike bullettproof).....great protection...love the winch protection.
Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts