Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This board is open to anyone, although it is tailored for Rubicon owners. IE.... asking about the tranny in your landcruiser will be deleted.

In addition to that, flaming or bashing will not be tolerated. We are here to help each other whether you are an experienced wheeler or a newbie. So aside from the occational debate or friendly jockying, behave. :)

Because we are a public board, language is important. I didn't set any bans on words but if you feel the need to swear... just do something like f**k. :) I don't want to piss off soccer moms but at the same time I don't want to limit your first ammendment rights. :) So an occasional slip is ok but if it becomes annoying I will filter words.

The forum will operate under two color schemes. The first is COBALT and is the boards default standard scheme. The second is the SUBSILVER which comes standard with the board package. We are keeping this second scheme on for the older, unable to see members of the forum. Seriously though, enough people like the choice so we will stay with it. WE WILL NOT BE ADDING ANYMORE! To change the color scheme that you see, simply go to YOUR PROFILE and you will find the selection there. Be sure to save your changes.

Well thats about it for rules right now. I don't see any need to go around regulating everything so just have fun and keep it real!
Justin

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Some Thoughts from Robocon

Gosh, using the Bulletin Board can be fun. And gosh, it offers many ways to make a fool of yourself -- Heaven forbid that you should act like a clueless newbie.

BEFORE YOU POST.
The moment you get your new account on the BB, you may have the overwhelming urge to post lots of messages right away. DON'T DO IT.
Read other BB and other websites and or other net resources for a while before you post anything on the BB. You will figure out where best to send your messages, which makes it both more likely that you will contact people who are interested in what you are say and less likely that you annoy people by bothering them w/irrelevantcies or by sending something to an inappropriate place. If you see a FAQ (frequently asked question) section, read it to see weather your question has already been answered.

NETIQUETTE MATTERS.
On the BB, you are what you type. The messages you post are the only way that 99% of people you meet on the BB will know you.

SPELLING COUNTS.
Many BB user feel that because the BB messages are short and informal, spelling and grammar don't count. Some even think that strange spelling makes them E133T KOOL DOODZ. If you feel that wey,theirs' not much wee can do abowt it. We think that a sloppy, mispelled post is like a big grease stain on your shirt. Your friends will no it's you, but people who don't know you will conclude that you don't know how to dress yourself.

CAPITALIZATION COUNT, TOO
DON'T POST YOUR ENTIRE MESSAGE IN CAPITAL LETTERS. This comes across as shouting and is likely to get you some snappy comments suggesting that you do something about the stuck keys on your keyboard. Computer keyboards have handled lower case letters since about 1970, so avail yourself to this technical marvel and aid to literate writing.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT.
Avoid trying to sound smart. When you do, the result is usually the opposite. Someone asked for "blah blah blah" information. Then came the edifying comment "sorry bud, can't help you." Well, duh. We hoped that people with nothing to say would keep their mouth shut, but we were wrong. Each message you post to a topic goes to the entire list If you are going to post, be sure that it is constructive and will not deteriorate the original topic.

EDIT YOURSELF.
When you're posting on the BB, remember that your audience is the entire world, made up of people of all ethnicity's and races speaking different languages and representing different cultures. Work hard to represent yourself and your culture well. Avoid name-calling and disparaging comments about other peoples and places. It's all to easy to be misunderstood. Read several times through whatever you intend to post before you send it. We have seen inadvertent typos change the intended meaning of the message to its complete opposite.

DISCRETION IS THE BETTER PART
Sooner or later, you see something that cries out for a cheap shot. Sooner or later, someone sends you something you shouldn't have seen and you want to pass on. DON'T DO IT. Resist cheap shots and proliferating malice. The net has plenty of jerks----don't be another one. Be tolerant of newbies, you were once one yourself.

KEEP IT PRIVATE.
If someone makes a mistake, such as "blah blah do tie rods come in different colors, blah blah." Yes, its true someone made a mistake. DON'T COMPOUND IT, BY POSTING ADDITIONAL COMMENTS COMPLAINING ABOUT IT. (see above) Either delete it, or forget about it. Better yet, send a PRIVATE MESSAGE ONLY TO THAT PERSON. Not on the public board. The entire BB probably doesn't want to hear your advise to the person who blew it. We have a great PM function on this BB.

FLAME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not going to take that on ROF. PERIOD!!
For some reason, it's easy to get VERY VERY VERY UPSET ABOUT SOMETHING SOMEONE SAYS ON THE BB.(It has happen to me,thats why I'm writing this).You may be tempted to shoot a post right back telling that person what a doofus he/she is. Guess what? They will almost always shoot right back. This type of overstated outrage is so common that it has its own name: FLAMING. Now and then, its fun if you're certain that the recipient will take it in good humor, but it's always unnecessary. For one thing, post always come out crabbier than the author intended; for another, crabbing back will hardly make the person more reasonable.
A technique I have found useful is to write the strongest, crabbiest response possible, full of biting wit and skewering each point in turn. Then I throw it away rather then send it.

DON'T BE DUMB.
Don't post anything you do not wish to have others see. I have fallen victim to this recently. It will bite you in the ass every time.

FINAL NOTE.
We are being watched by potential sponsors/DC, and other BB's. It is very important that we conduct ourselves in a professional/courtious manner while on this BB.Lets make this a BB that demands respect from our potential future sponsors and new members.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing we added that members should be aware of:

After 180 days of inactivity... this means you havn't visited the forum in 6 months, your account will be automatically deleted by the software. I know we have some military members, myself included, that could deploy. In that event, let me know so that I can prevent your account from falling under this axe.

Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.