Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of installing the 3.5" RE LA on my Rubicon but we've got one question. What did those of you with the kit do with the air compressers? It dosent look like therew is a place for them on the skid plate.
Thanks

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Blake said:
We are in the process of installing the 3.5" RE LA on my Rubicon but we've got one question. What did those of you with the kit do with the air compressers? It dosent look like therew is a place for them on the skid plate.
Thanks
i am still waiting for my R.E. 3.5'' long arm..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Flip the bracket upside down and attach it to the bottom of the body. This is what we had to do for my buddy's LA.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Brad W. said:
I just built a bracket and welded it to the cross member. I know, it's not pretty, but it works...

Picture 1

Picture 2

Have a good day
Brad
Damn that was a cool Idea..........And the Hell with it looking pretty...How many people you have under there....HEHEHEHEHEHE....

Good thinking Brad... You should do a little write up and I think that we should start another section dedicated to write up's......What do you guys think?

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the writeup/installs/tips would be great....Save everybody from having to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Damn that was a cool Idea..........And the Hell with it looking pretty...How many people you have under there....HEHEHEHEHEHE....

Good thinking Brad... You should do a little write up and I think that we should start another section dedicated to write up's......What do you guys think?

Cheers

Sean
Thanks Sean;

I'm not sure it really needs a write up, the pictures are pretty self explanitory. I just used some scrap metal that was laying around the shop. The skid is 3/16" because that's what I had on hand. I cut it halfway through about 1" from the back so I could bend the trailing edge up at a 45° angle making it less likely to catch on rocks when backing up. After I bent it I welded the cut to fill it in then ground it smooth. The bracket is made from 1/4" by 1 1/2" flat stock. I welded bolts in place to make installation and removal of the compressors easier. I welded the square tubing on just to make it a little sturdier. I welded the plate onto the cross member so it would be flush on the bottom. Since the trailing edge of the cross member is curved up I filled in the gap by welding several large beads then ground it smooth so there would be nothing for rocks to catch on. The bracket is at the steep angle to give maximum clearance from the upper control arm and output shaft.

The skid has now taken a few hits from the rocks, nothing too severe yet, but so far so good...

Have a good day
Brad

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I believe with the LA lift specific to the Rubicon that they have included the mounting brackets on the skid for the lockers in the stock position.

I see that 9th Degree has.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine is the Rubicon specific lift (RE7214) ordered 2/7. It had no provision for the compressors.

Have a good day
Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My kit was Rubi specific and theres no where for the compressors to mount.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Put mine under the hood. Used a standard 3 wire electrical extension and some vacuum hose. Now they are somewhat protected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts