Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the reprocussions of flipping the tie-rod ends to the top of the steering knuckles? Why would DC put them on the underside when the TJs are known for tie-rod clearance?

Go Fer It offers some sleeves to flip the stock ends on top of the knuckle.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I can't answer why they do it except that is the design and most likely the optimal position for the drag link and tie rod to meet. Also it onlylifts the Tie rod end so that would make the Tie rod and Drag link postition seem wierd. I would call them and speak to them asking what kind of changes they have noticed and how it handles the bumps ect.

I am going to do a High Clearence Steer but I will be raising both drag link and tie rod so to keep stock configurations...

Keep us informed as to what you find out...

Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have sent an email to GoFerIt. I was thinking that it might actually eliminate some of the minor bump steer I got after my lift. Considering that the steering angle would have gotten slightly steeper, flipping the tie-rod ends to the top of the steering knuckle would lift the tie-rod and the drag-link about an inch restoring some of that steering angle.

I will let you all know what they say when I get a response.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
I have sent an email to GoFerIt. I was thinking that it might actually eliminate some of the minor bump steer I got after my lift. Considering that the steering angle would have gotten slightly steeper, flipping the tie-rod ends to the top of the steering knuckle would lift the tie-rod and the drag-link about an inch restoring some of that steering angle.

I will let you all know what they say when I get a response.
That woudl be cool. Thanks Triver...

Steering in my next thing to learn. Limited knowlege on this subject.

·
Registered
85 Posts
triver525 said:
Does anyone know the reprocussions of flipping the tie-rod ends to the top of the steering knuckles?
If you did this, your draglink would no longer be parallel to the trackbar, which would induce even more bumpsteer. As long as they are roughly parallel, your bumpsteer will be minimised. The reason you may have a bit of bumpsteer right now is because the draglink is longer than the trackbar- as the angle changes, the effective length change of the draglink is slightly different than that of the trackbar.

There is an interesting thread over on JU regarding a unique method 'mrblaine' is trying to correct FE geometry. Check this out: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407428

1 - 5 of 5 Posts