Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
LOLOL So True

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have an aftermarket bumper on the TJ with D-shackle mounts ... they were too close and not entirely within the spec of the towing bar I have so I bolted on my own brackets. Many thousands of miles behind our RV and I've been well pleased with the entire setup... adjustable tow bars are $$$ at first but man do they make hooking up a breeze. I went with a surge brake type setup. Mine is the NSA ReadyBrute bar with the ReadyBrake.

The other mod that has made my life a lot easier is to hack up the key cylinder so the steering wheel doesn't lock .. now I don't have to worry about running a key in the jeep while towing.

For long distances, you could disconnect the drive shafts at the axles but I never bother with that. T-case in neutral and tranny in first gear (mine is manual) has been just fine. I do have a cable actuated t-case as I ditched the horrible stock Z-bracket sifter thingie jeep put in these early rubicons many many years ago :D

Cost wise .. with the bar, brackets, brake stuff, and various mods for electricals (brake light rewires etc), it was about $2k a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I pick up my Trailer tomorrow

18' Car hauler
GVWR 7,000 lb. - Capacity 6,000 lb. with 1,000 lb. Hitchload.
  • 3,500 lb. braking axles with 4 wheel brakes
  • Double eye spring suspension
  • 205/75 R15 load range C 6 ply rating radial tires
  • 5″ channel frame and tongue
  • 24″ cross member spacing-3″ channel crossmembers
  • 82” between fenders
  • Treated wood deck with 2-ft. dovetail
  • 5′ slide-in ramps
  • 2 5/16 coupler
  • Swing up jack
  • Heavy duty fenders
  • 10 stake pockets
  • Primed and painted with two topcoats of acrylic enamel with hardner
  • Break away kit, reflective tape, safety chains, and sealed beam lighting

·
Registered
219 Posts
I pick up my Trailer tomorrow

18' Car hauler
  • 3,500 lb. braking axles with 4 wheel brakes
  • Double eye spring suspension
  • 205/75 R15 load range C 6 ply rating radial tires
  • 5″ channel frame and tongue
  • 24″ cross member spacing-3″ channel crossmembers
  • 82” between fenders
  • Treated wood deck with 2-ft. dovetail
  • 5′ slide-in ramps
  • 2 5/16 coupler
  • Swing up jack
  • Heavy duty fenders
  • 10 stake pockets
  • Primed and painted with two topcoats of acrylic enamel with hardner
  • Break away kit, reflective tape, safety chains, and sealed beam lighting
Do you know what that trailer will weigh? Just curious because I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon that weighs 3770 lbs. and also have a 2021 JT Rubicon with the tow package.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
2100lbs
So you would be at 5870lbs which is well under 7000lb towing limit of the Rubicon.
The above trailer is
GVWR 7,000 lb. - Capacity 6,000 lb. with 1,000 lb. Hitchload which is well above the weight of the TJ as well.

What's interesting is I discovered that the 2022 JT Rubicon has a Max Tow rating of 7364lbs. I am not sure what changed between 2021 and 2022 to get that extra 364lbs, but this is why I went with the Rubicon instead of Sport S with max towing package which is only slightly more at 7500lbs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
2100lbs
So you would be at 5870lbs which is well under 7000lb towing limit of the Rubicon.
The above trailer is
GVWR 7,000 lb. - Capacity 6,000 lb. with 1,000 lb. Hitchload which is well above the weight of the TJ as well.

What's interesting is I discovered that the 2022 JT Rubicon has a Max Tow rating of 7364lbs. I am not sure what changed between 2021 and 2022 to get that extra 364lbs, but this is why I went with the Rubicon instead of Sport S with max towing package which is only slightly more at 7500lbs.
Thanks for the info. Didn't really buy the 2021 JT Rubicon with the intention of towing, but I figured I would have the capability if ever needed.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I actually did, but with the thought process that since it is a Rubicon, I could also use it for 4 wheeling/Overlanding stuff that won't be as extreme as stuff I will use my TJ for.

·
Administrator
11,568 Posts
My Rubi weighed about 4700 pounds, my aluminum Featherlite trailer weighs 1800 pounds with two 3500 pound axles so 7,000 -1800 = 5,200 load capacity. So I had a little extra capacity with the rig.

Reactions: mac

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Gladiator towed the empty trailer like a champ.
The Trail Hitch Zoom feature is really nice. Allows you to line up perfectly without needing a second person.

I was impressed with the Curt Echo Blue Tooth Trailer brake. As easy to setup as any Bluetooth device, same with the O-**** button and then you set the brake bias like a hard wired controller.
You can setup multiple profiles, and swap it between different vehicles as save settings for each.

With 5 year registration, Total out the door for everything was $4000. Not Cheap, but much better than most places I talked to. This gives me some piece of mind now.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For people looking for a Brake Controller, this is the one I got.
The JT considers all brake controllers 3rd party, including the Mopar one, and does not have any integration with the EVIC or Radio for them, so you can use whatever you want. As a result, I saved money and went with something that requires zero wiring and can be switched between vehicles.

And of Course Pictures

Wood Composite material Automotive exterior Shade Fence

It is Amelia approved, but Carmen, my other Greyhound didn't give it a single sniff. LOL

Dog Fence Wood Plant Fawn

Wheel Tire Dog Carnivore Tread

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
looks great, congrats. I think you will be happy with it.

I am gong to look at that brake controller, I like the saved options part for different trailers and loads.

One thing I put on my trailer was a different jack. I push mine around a bit to part it so a better jack/wheel combo seemed like a good ides. I ended up with this one, I can easily push the trailer where ever I want with little issue. It is aluminum and weighs quite a bit less, but sure makes parking the empty trailer easy.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That is something I could definitely use. They come in real handy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts