Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo With the crazy cost of trailers right now, I have to admit, I am considering flat towing the TJ.

I am curious about 1 thing.
Do you need a dedicated second towing bar or could you use an existing bumper that has tabs for shackles?

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
The question is how confident are you of the shackles staying in place? Consider the cost of the rubi and the liability of it getting free and hitting someone. Also what will you tow it with? You need a truck or the tail will wag the dog.
Last, how do you plan on keeping air in the airock while traveling, last think you want is an airbag to slowly drflate and you tow it on the bumpstops? Consider an electric compressor in the tow vehicle and an air line to the manifold in the rubi. this way the airock is always filled. Drive with the accessories on so the airock is active.
I have considered towing blue in the past and all these issues made me reconsider it.

Reactions: mac

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way the tow bars are designed, I would use the bar and cotter pin from that through the shackle mount, vs using an actual D ring shackle that could unthread, and would then use tow hooks on top of the bumper as the break away safety. Looking at a lot of flat towing setups, the brackets that come with them just require drilling through the front of the bumper and using 2 grade 8 bolts per bracket.
Gas Metal Aluminium Auto part Titanium

I guess I could add those and use the existing shackle tabs for the break away

As far as the AirBags, that would be solved by using the Emergency repair kit. Would just need to verify that there were no leaks. and just disconnect at the AiRock controller under the hood. This would only be for 1.5-2hr tows each way.

But then I think about the braking, and once you add that in, you are getting closer to the cost of a trailer.

As far as the truck.

and I do include you in the blame. :ROFLMAO:

Yea, sounds like just borrowing a trailer for a while, until I buy one is still the best option.

Sometimes it's best to type these thoughts out to then bring you to the conclusion.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
The way the tow bars are designed, I would use the bar and cotter pin from that through the shackle mount, vs using an actual D ring shackle that could unthread, and would then use tow hooks on top of the bumper as the break away safety. Looking at a lot of flat towing setups, the brackets that come with them just require drilling through the front of the bumper and using 2 grade 8 bolts per bracket.
View attachment 76560

I guess I could add those and use the existing shackle tabs for the break away

As far as the AirBags, that would be solved by using the Emergency repair kit. Would just need to verify that there were no leaks. and just disconnect at the AiRock controller under the hood. This would only be for 1.5-2hr tows each way.

But then I think about the braking, and once you add that in, you are getting closer to the cost of a trailer.

As far as the truck.

and I do include you in the blame. :ROFLMAO:

Yea, sounds like just borrowing a trailer for a while, until I buy one is still the best option.

Sometimes it's best to type these thoughts out to then bring you to the conclusion.

It’s fairly easy to set up for flat towing. Some bumpers have tow rated D rings and some don’t. You’ll have to check your bumper mfg specs to confirm.
Towing light harness is basically a plug and play from ETrailer.
Blue Ox and others have bolt on brackets. I use the Blue Ox brackets and a Roadmaster all terrain tow bar.
You will also need a supplemental braking system like a Brake Buddy or equal from other mfg.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
It’s fairly easy to set up for flat towing. Some bumpers have tow rated D rings and some don’t. You’ll have to check your bumper mfg specs to confirm.
Towing light harness is basically a plug and play from ETrailer.
Blue Ox and others have bolt on brackets. I use the Blue Ox brackets and a Roadmaster all terrain tow bar.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely don't want something in the way of the rocks, but the bracket I originally posted, is from the same company that made the front bumper.

That brake buddy is interesting. Did you have one of those?
The stealth is barely harder to install than my hand throttle. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I definitely don't want something in the way of the rocks, but the bracket I originally posted, is from the same company that made the front bumper.

That brake buddy is interesting. Did you have one of those?
Yes, I have the Brake Buddy Classic 3.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I’d imagine with a little looking around you could get good used equipment for less than half the cost of new.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True
Same can be said for a Trailer. I have 2 in my sights now that are a decent price. So I am going to go that route.
But, I appreciate all the cool information.
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
One thing to consider is storing the trailer while not in use. And some events are crowded and finding a safe place to park the trailer can be an issue.
With that said, I would trailer tow and not flat tow. About the same cost and less wear on the Jeep.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
Flat towing is really hard on the front tires since they scrub when the tow vehicle turns, also the entire drive-train is operating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Flat towing a TJ, especially with a compatible front bumper, is relatively easy. A Blue Ox towbar with D-ring receiver mounts and the brake inertia feature (cable connected directly to brake pedal) make connections easy, and you can choose to use external magnetic mount tail lights or tap into factory wiring with a relay and diodes. The drive train on the TJ isn't doing anything because the transfer case is in Neutral and the transmission is in Park (for an Auto 4wd). Leave the key in one click to keep the steering wheel unlocked and a relay keeping the brake lights off unless the switch is in the On position will prevent the battery from draining. I get better gas mileage towing my TJ than driving it. Why deal with a trailer and pull all that extra weight when a 4wd TJ makes such a great toad? Just don't try backing up more than a few feet!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
.... The drive train on the TJ isn't doing anything because the transfer case is in Neutral and the transmission is in Park (for an Auto 4wd)...
No sir. The the drive train is still spinning around up to the transfer case. If the front axle has hubs, you can disconnect the wheels from the axle.

Reactions: mac

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup
and there are multiple advantages to a Trailer.
For my use, I am not just bringing along the TJ to use as a secondary vehicle on a camping trip. I am using the TJ on level 5-10 rated trails in which there is always a chance of breaking.
If I break the drivetrain in a way that limits the jeep from rolling safely, I would not be able to flat tow it.
But, with a trailer, I can load it up, strap it down and then be able to fix i when I get home. I made sure to get a vehicle that is capable of towing the weight of the TJ and Trailer,

After adding everything up, it's just not worth the cost difference to flat tow.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I was at a function when a older guy figured out I was also a Jeep owner. He flat owed behind his motor home. His procedure was transmission in second gear and transfer in neutral. One time he miss shifted and unknowingly the transfer ended up in low range. He claimed his big diesel pusher felt a little off, but down the highway he went.
After several miles he was doing his usual mirror check when the jeep locked up. The motor gernaded sending a rod out the block and generated enough heat to catch fire,
Many a trailer isn't too bad of a idea.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Big advantage of a trailer is if you buddy breaks on the trailer, you can load him up and drive yours. Seen it happen a few times to people who drive to the trail. one thing I saw that I thought about is one of the 2 wheel tow dollies. Rear wheels on the dolly and front wheels on the ground in 2wd and the only part of the drivetrain working are the front hubs and shafts. It also allows you to tod a damaged vehicle unless you total both axles, just put the bad one on the dolly.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a great point and literally happened 2 trips ago.

I just put a deposit on a new 18' trailer and will pick it up 1 week from Saturday. This way I will have it well in advance of my next trip, which is currently Feb 27.
I am hoping I can convince some people to go out sooner. But I'm a little broke at the moment, so maybe I should just wait
:ROFLMAO:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Patience and responsibility... you...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts