1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
10,783 Posts
The SMI brake kit is a good one,I had a similar one by SMI that we used on our Liberty when we flat towed it. I used Roadmaster for the tow bar, them and Blue Ox are the major players. Rockhard makes a bumper for towing, you might check that out even though you have a nice one already.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, since this is an AEV and the bumper is AEV I'll be keeping it and a good welder is fabricating an appropriate setup to connect my Blue Ox to the D ring tabs. Note, my buddy originally had attached his tow bar directly to the D ring tabs but during a panic stop bent them thus the need to beef it up.

Here is a pic of a buddies AEV bumpers fabrication for towing, I am doing something similar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Best IMO is the M&G if you have the room. I couldn't use one with my larger M/C and LS swap components.

I have a RVI 3 as its quick to setup and doesn't clutter up the foot well area when its removed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Best IMO is the M&G if you have the room. I couldn't use one with my larger M/C and LS swap components.

I have a RVI 3 as its quick to setup and doesn't clutter up the foot well area when its removed.
Thanks for the suggestion;)

I googled the M&G brake system and it looks good. The RV has hydraulic brakes and would need to install a compressor. That might be more complicated than going with the Demco, still will check to see if I can find a Utube video and learn more.

Owens Valley CA near Lone Pine looking toward the Mount Whitney portal Sierra Nevada Range

·
Administrator
10,783 Posts
M&G was on my short list but there was some discussion about the situation of tapping into the air brake line and Freightliner didn't approve that (of course.) It would have been fine though. It's a very good system.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out Brake Buddy as well.
Brake Buddy was my first choice and have several Jeep friends that use them or that type of system. I'm sure that would work but I also would like a system that I don't have to pick up and move, then have to reinstall.

A local shop I trust here in Reno swears by the Demco Duo but their install price doubles the cost. etrailer has an install video and with the help of my buddy think it's a easy "can do."

Picture: Back when the TJ Rubicon was stock and hauled boats and bikes. I didn't have a brake system and never thought I needed one but the JKU is heavier and my fellow Jeep friends have convinced me to get one.

·
Administrator
10,783 Posts
You are right about a portable braking system - it would be a huge hassle. I installed my SMI myself in the Liberty and then transferred it to the LJ when we flat towed it. It's a fairly easy DIY project for anybody with even moderate skills for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your AEV bumpers fabrication for towing will be susceptible to being bent on rocks as they are open and unprotected. I know you don't want to buy another bumper, like Rockhard with a place for the mount's built-in, but perhaps your bumper is strong enough to drill two holes to mount a tow bracket like Rockhard sells.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the SMI Stay-In-Play braking system in my TJR. It is expensive but it works very well. I like the fact that it is adjustable for varying degrees of deceleration.

I use a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar with their adapters that allow you to attach to the bumper eyelets, provided they are suitable. This eliminates the need for attachment points below the bumper which typically degrade the approach angle and can be damaged.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Your AEV bumpers fabrication for towing will be susceptible to being bent on rocks as they are open and unprotected. I know you don't want to buy another bumper, like Rockhard with a place for the mount's built-in, but perhaps your bumper is strong enough to drill two holes to mount a tow bracket like Rockhard sells.
You have a good point Bogey and Jim 1, my welder/fabricator understands the issue. He is busy with a bigger job and my work has been put on the shelf for a couple weeks so don't have my setup to show yet. We talked about having a removable center cross bar but don't know the end result yet. I will post up when completed.

Here is a pic on my buddies AEV Jeep showing that the tow attachments do hang low in the front and could get damaged in the rocks and ditto on the concern.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the RVI, picked up a RVI3 used for 1/2 price and looks as new. Their out their just check Forums.

Reactions: sierrabob

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd suggest looking at the RVI, picked up a RVI3 used for 1/2 price and looks as new. Their out their just check Forums.
Just googled RVI3 https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibrake3-flat-towing-braking-system?msclkid=c37051c0b3fd11a75e610fded993f236&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20DSA&utm_term=products&utm_content=products%20(catch%20all)&variant=20046642181

This looks good, the sales pitch... No wires, no installation.

I will study up on this brake system and see if this is what I need/want. Thanks

Early Summer 2018 southern Colorado old mine roads with our Jeep club

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If you haven’t had the Roadmaster tow bar before you’re going to really like it.
I have the Nighthawk version in 8k and it is far superior to the Blue Ox I previously used.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you haven’t had the Roadmaster tow bar before you’re going to really like it.
I have the Nighthawk version in 8k and it is far superior to the Blue Ox I previously used.
Roadmaster Nighthawk All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar for Blue Ox Base Plates $1,248.73

Bob that sure is a nice tow bar but... I have an older Blue Ox, don't have the model handy. Towed the TJ with it for several years and probably 30k miles and it worked good. So need to put the Roadmaster Nighthawk on the next best thing list as possibility when upgrading. Thanks for the suggestion.

Colorado

1 - 17 of 17 Posts