Rubicon Owners Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
We have both the front and rear RockHard aluminum bumpers and they are really nice. The front is the mid-width model. We got it along with a Warn VR winch at the Tierra del Sol event last winter. They had some attractive deals going on there. Have you looked at the Falken Wildpeak line of tires? The guide we use in Moab swears by them, of course I think they are one of his sponsors, but they are another alternative and are seeming to become more popular.

I have the aluminum mid width front bumper. I'll use the same winch. That rear bumper is super nice, seen yours in person! But the cost is a killer.

Yes, The Falkens are on my short list.

Another option on compressors is the Smittybilt 5.26 cfm compressor. We don't need to pump pressure as much as we need volume on the larger offroad tires we all run. It has worked well for us on the JK, much faster than the Viair 460 I have hardmounted on my LJ. I have a 1/2 gallon pressure tank I may mount where the factory muffler went on the JK, that way the Smittybilt can continue to pump while I am moving to another tire.

That is a nice unit. I have a Viair 450 RV unit which I keep in the motorhome. It'll pump up those 100 psi tires. I'd like to mount a Puma 12 volt to the jeep with external tank like I have on the LJ, just not sure where to mount it. That Puma is a great pump. Had one in the LJ since 2006. Runs like a top.

I don't think you'll be able to run a high steer. With a 2.5 lift I don't think it will fit unless you add a large amount of bump stop. Then that defeats the purpose of keeping it low.

What front bumper? You won't be able to run a full width unless it really angles up.

I ran the LCA brackets before I bought control arms. They do hang down but will give you the best highway ride your going to get.

I had a set of MTRK's on my last work truck. I feel they are the best off road tire out there. But they were noisy. I don't think I could live with them on my Jeep.
I currently have KO 2's.

Sounds that way. Fine with me. Save a couple bucks on not getting a flip kit.

Why won't a full bumper work?

The MTR's on my '06 LJR are pretty quite. I have KO2's on the JK now.

Here's the EVO delete on our 2014
I like the EVO. Looks like I can retain my factory hitch as well. I wager that is in my future.

·
Registered
483 Posts
With low lift and 35's the tires will rub on a lot of full width bumpers. That will depend if the bumper angles up and how far forward it mounts.
Mid width no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
With low lift and 35's the tires will rub on a lot of full width bumpers. That will depend if the bumper angles up and how far forward it mounts.
Mid width no problem.

Thanks. I know I'll have to trim the factory rockers. I doubt the bumper will be an issue. If it is I have implements of destruction! >:)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The mid width wasn't my first choice. But this is the wife's daily driver so she chose the Mid Width. At the time the tires weren't a concern, but should I ever get high clearance fenders it'd look goofy IMHO.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Centerline has recently released a set of solid aluminum wheels, if you like the steelie look without the weight.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I finally got some stuff done. I went simple with a JKS 2.5" lift with trac bars front and rear. I put the rockhard aluminum armor underneath, and tomorrow my 35" Falken Wildpeaks get mounted. I did that stupid exhaust extension thing and even with shims the pipe hits the skid plate on acceleration. Looks like I'll be getting updated driveshafts which I wanted anyway.
So: Do I want Tom Woods or Adams? From talking around with folks for the kind of wheeling I do the 1310's should be more than okay.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well I finally got some stuff done. I went simple with a JKS 2.5" lift with trac bars front and rear. I put the rockhard aluminum armor underneath, and tomorrow my 35" Falken Wildpeaks get mounted. I did that stupid exhaust extension thing and even with shims the pipe hits the skid plate on acceleration. Looks like I'll be getting updated driveshafts which I wanted anyway.
So: Do I want Tom Woods or Adams? From talking around with folks for the kind of wheeling I do the 1310's should be more than okay.
I have the same lift but without exhaust extensions. When my Jeep is on the hoist the slip yoke boot hits the exhaust but that's with the axle hanging down. I have never hit the exhaust off road because both tires are never in droop at the same time. Before you buy a driveshaft take out the the extensions and make sure the pipes don't hit. It would suck to buy a shaft and still have the exhaust hit.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have the same lift but without exhaust extensions. When my Jeep is on the hoist the slip yoke boot hits the exhaust but that's with the axle hanging down. I have never hit the exhaust off road because both tires are never in droop at the same time. Before you buy a driveshaft take out the the extensions and make sure the pipes don't hit. It would suck to buy a shaft and still have the exhaust hit.
I’m pulling out the extensions tomorrow. Rockhard gives you a shim for their skid system to help with this issue. But even with the shim the clearance between the cross pipe and skid is well less that 1/4”.
Having real driveshafts is probably still a good idea. If I have no more noise after pulling out the extensions and no metal on metal while drooped I’ll hold off on the shafts.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Another interesting discovery on this modern tech they have today. After the lift I went for a short test drive around the block. First thing I noticed was I forgot about re-centering the steering wheel and just laughed at my old self. But apparently the steering system is connected to the traction control/abs stuff cause it all went nutz! You could hear the abs box clicking and clacking like a concrete mixer full of rocks Got the light on the dash etc. centered the steering wheel and all was good. Its not 1970 anymore.

·
Administrator
10,466 Posts
Another interesting discovery on this modern tech they have today. After the lift I went for a short test drive around the block. First thing I noticed was I forgot about re-centering the steering wheel and just laughed at my old self. But apparently the steering system is connected to the traction control/abs stuff cause it all went nutz! You could hear the abs box clicking and clacking like a concrete mixer full of rocks Got the light on the dash etc. centered the steering wheel and all was good. Its not 1970 anymore.
And that's the problem with the JK's and newer on the trail - hit something with the drag link, tie rod, etc. and the electronics go nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
And that's the problem with the JK's and newer on the trail - hit something with the drag link, tie rod, etc. and the electronics go nuts.
And probably no easy way to bypass all that stuff. It's like Skynet, eventually the Jeep will become self aware and kick you out!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts