Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank You to the admins and organizers of ROF. With the information on this forum I've been able to do all of my own work except for the auto trans rebuild. (way above my pay grade)

Also, to sierrabob and iceaxe1967 :beerchug::bowdown: Your comments in an old post directed me to the problem.

I located the vacuum line that drops down the passenger side firewall and is supposed to go under the battery tray to the vacuum accumulator. Mine was dangling at the firewall and connected to nothing.

I pulled the battery and battery tray and found the vacuum accumulator with the rubber 90 attached to the nipple but no vacuum hose. I also found a rusting mess so it was a good time to do a little clean up.

I remove the brittle old vacuum line and cut it at the Tee where the lines meet from the manifold, the cabin controls and the accumulator. I picked up 4' of rubber hose that fits snug over the rubber Tee and the rubber 90 under the battery, ren it the same way as the original and clamped everything in place.

Also, I hit the whole area with a scrapper and a wire brush, then put on two coats of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and two messy coats of Rustoleum Protective Enamel.

After cleaning all of the connections and clamps I put it back together and YAAHOO!! it all works the way it should.

I hope this helps someone the way others have helped me on this site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Holy crap I'm glad I live where there isn't any rust! Good job cleaning that up. Ever heard of Ospho? By the way... that thing under the battery is a temp sensor... lets the PCM know if your battery is getting too hot. The plywood was probably under there because someone put the wrong size battery in it and the hold down didn't work... so much for the temp sensor working.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Must be in the water. My a/c has started acting up, actually it did something similar 2 years ago and fixed itself before I made it home. Fast forward 2019, all of the controls will to work but I can't any airflow or switch levels. The blend door seems like it is working because I can here it making noise behind the dash. Turn the fan to high and barley get some flow, after driving over an hour cold air started pouring out the vents like it should and I can switch to different levels without any problems. The vacuum lines look good and all of the rubber nipple things are still nice and soft.

I am thinking that I have a door sticking, any ideas?

Vincent

·
1,525 Posts
I was just under my battery yesterday looking for a vacuum leak. My cruise control stopped working. Is that what that black box is called? A vacuum accumulator? I must not have a leak there because when I pulled off the elbow I heard vacuum releasing. The lines were actually in good shape.

I’ve had the same break in the line that you have coming out of the firewall. I repaired it with shrink tube.

·
Administrator
10,842 Posts
Must be in the water. My a/c has started acting up, actually it did something similar 2 years ago and fixed itself before I made it home. Fast forward 2019, all of the controls will to work but I can't any airflow or switch levels. The blend door seems like it is working because I can here it making noise behind the dash. Turn the fan to high and barley get some flow, after driving over an hour cold air started pouring out the vents like it should and I can switch to different levels without any problems. The vacuum lines look good and all of the rubber nipple things are still nice and soft.

I am thinking that I have a door sticking, any ideas?

Vincent
If you can hear the blower running at the proper speed and air isn't coming out of the proper ducts then there's something going on with your blend doors - either a lack of vacuum or something with the door mechanisms. Maybe renglish has some ideas.

I was just under my battery yesterday looking for a vacuum leak. My cruise control stopped working. Is that what that black box is called? A vacuum accumulator? I must not have a leak there because when I pulled off the elbow I heard vacuum releasing. The lines were actually in good shape.

I’ve had the same break in the line that you have coming out of the firewall. I repaired it with shrink tube.
I think that is the accumulator. I have one that's ball shaped in the motorhome (and its vacuum motor has quit again.) Diesels don't product vacuum so there's a separate vacuum pump.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I really think that my problem is with the blend door somehow, I like the info in the link and will do more research. Everything is working right now but it is on the remedy list.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed a heatertreater door on my F150.
Great product and fairly easy to install - positively better than taking apart the dash or paying someone $$$$$ to fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts