Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I won't be doing any extreme rock crawling with my Jeep, mainly just moderate trails, camping, and hunting. For my first modifications, I just ordered from JKS: 1.75" body lift, budget 1" motor mount lift and a set of quicker disconnects.

I plan to add a RE 2" budget boost and some underside armor, on board air, some racks and that's about it.

I should be installing the JKS stuff next weekend. Anyone have any tips for the install. I did similiar things to my 98 TJ and didn't really have any trouble. Is the 2003 Rubicon any different?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Chris:

If you did it before on a '98 you should have no troubles. You nay find the driver's side MML is tougher to get at with the ugly pre-cats on the exhaust vs. the '98. A Rubicon is still a TJ.

Sounds like a real appropriate setup for your wheelin' plans. Black Rubis rule!

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First loosen the MM to Engine bracket bolt on the DS, then unbolt the engine bracket from the Engine, it makes it easier to get the bolt off and everything back in if you have A/C. Put the engine bracket back on after you unbolt the engine bracket. Sometimes it is also easier if you loosen the passenger MM to engine bracket to give the engine some play. Check my website, I did a similar setup. I've done a JKS Budget MML on Stevo's Jeep, opps actually he wrenched, I told him what to do, but it was the same procedure, just follow JKS's instructions on putting on the brackets.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I would also suggest getting at least a skid that protects your Oil Pan.

If you have a 5 speed the Tera one is real cheap, easy to install and works great

If you have an automatic, I believe some of the other guys can let you know what fits as the tera one wont.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
elff said:
I would also suggest getting at least a skid that protects your Oil Pan.

If you have a 5 speed the Tera one is real cheap, easy to install and works great

If you have an automatic, I believe some of the other guys can let you know what fits as the tera one wont.
The Skid Row oil pan/tranny skid works real well on the automatic.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. As for the skids, I plan to install lots of them. I don't think I will be going larger than 32's so I plan to really protect things. I work at a metal fab shop and am going to make (attempt to make) my skids if I can.

The plan is to keep this Jeep as fun to drive as possible, while being able to have some fun offroad. My 98TJ wasn't much fun after installing a detroit locker, removing the rear sway bar and doing stuff like that.

Anyway, thanks again

Chris

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
First Mods

Roll-cage? Something to protect the folks inside your rig?
Some people would call it Safety First, sure would beat First Aid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts