Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a gun guy pretty much my whole life, but have never owned an AR. I've had a variety of rifles over the years and currently have a Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 336. I bought a lower years ago with the intent of building one with my 13 year old daughter, but then she found out about boys...

Anyway, to the point. If you were to purchase an AR for defensive purposes, what would you buy and why? I've been thinking about an AR pistol, seems it would be better in the home than a rifle and still usable outside the home.

Something like this is what I had in mind https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-classic-shockwave-pistol-fde-5165450064.html

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I've been a gun guy pretty much my whole life, but have never owned an AR. I've had a variety of rifles over the years and currently have a Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 336. I bought a lower years ago with the intent of building one with my 13 year old daughter, but then she found out about boys...

Anyway, to the point. If you were to purchase an AR for defensive purposes, what would you buy and why? I've been thinking about an AR pistol, seems it would be better in the home than a rifle and still usable outside the home.

Something like this is what I had in mind https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-classic-shockwave-pistol-fde-5165450064.html
View attachment 74931
Springfield Saint in 300 Blackout!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I owned a Sig Sauer P556 but sold it because there are better pistols available and with a folding stock you are required to register it as a short barreled rifle.
Unknown.jpg

·
1,520 Posts
I like my 556/223 for reloading. Last time I was with my buddies I picked up 1000 brass they left behind. Another time I picked up 1000 at a random camp. It’s common.

Consider your penetration of walls, but if an AR...

I would choose rifle length for versatility.
As far as the build...
Free floating barrel.
Chrome lined barrel, but I don’t have one.
No quad rail, but round with top rail as long as the barrel can safely hold.
Wilson Combat trigger, mine is a generic mil spec with a Neanderthal break.
Metal iron sights.

·
3,464 Posts
Lots of ammo choices for 223/556, including hollowpoints, steel core and tracers. 300BLK if you want to suppress

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
One of my favorite topics! I have several ARs, one in .308, one in 300 blackout with a suppressor (very quiet with subsonic ammo) and one in 5.56. I would love to add a SBR (short barrel rifle) in 5.56 or even 9 mm, it's a NFA gun (National Firearms Act) which makes you jump through hoops and wait for approval.

My 5.56 has a Aimpoint red dot sight so the build idea was to keep it as light as possible for close in use.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input!

So I like the 300 black out, but I also like to put a lot of lead down range when I shoot. I pulled up some ballistics test on both the 300 and 5.56 and I think 5.56 is good enough, and it's a more affordable round. Maybe my 2nd AR I can get a little more creative LOL

Thanks @Desert Dog for turning me onto the Springfield, I checked out their Saint Victor pistol and really like it.
That's just plain sexy in my eyes, but we all know looks ain't everything :)

SAINT® Victor 5.56 AR-15 Pistol - OD Green - Springfield Armory

·
1,520 Posts
I avoided the AR and bought a Mini14 because I was tired of lunking around an M16 and never wanted to look at anything like it again!
Thanks for carrying it. Your “common usage“ in the military is what gives the citizen the constitutional right to own one, as I understand it from lawyers.

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
300 Blackout has a few disadvantages. The ammo is generally more expensive and with the 200 grain subsonic round you, don't get the energy that you would with say a .308 or maybe even a 5.56 round. I've wonder about the knockdown power of the 200 grain bullet for hog hunting. I have a stamp to machine a suppressor in 5.56 but I didn't realize that round is difficult to sound suppress. I'll get to that maybe this winter.

Reactions: mac

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Thanks for carrying it. Your “common usage“ in the military is what gives the citizen the constitutional right to own one, as I understand it from lawyers.
Springfield Armory has a good, kinda long article on What is an AR Pistol. Enlightening to this ol Dog. I'll be 75 in Sept and still shoot targets once a week. My fun gun is Sig MPX 9mm Sig Romeo 4.

·
Registered
563 Posts
.......... seems it would be better in the home than a rifle and still usable outside the home.

Well, not completely sure of your inside the home construction, but I don't think a rifle round would be good.
Brick or concrete would be nice.
Drywall and studs? ... that round would go through 2 or 3 walls.
Not good for your family or neighbors.

Home defense? Tactical shotgun.....
Large property defense? AR ....

·
1,520 Posts
We took my wife’s Grand Cherokee door out to the desert and 223 went through and through like it was whipped cream.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
A bit of a diversion. Are you AR guys running one or two stage triggers?

I'm a long, long time, bolt gun, trigger snob. AR triggers in general, make my teeth hurt. I've tried a few, and wanted to find a single stage I could like because that's what I'm used to in a good bolt gun trigger (by good, I mean Jewell, bix'n andy, Rifle Basix etc.).

But I didn't find a single stage AR trigger I could curl up with. Closest was the Timney but I and others had issues with it and in the end I just couldn't live with it.

For slow, controlled shooting, like targets or shooting groups, I really like the Geissele with the light spring. It's a very traditional two stage, with a long take up that is about as heavy as the second stage, but the wall is solid and breaks clean.

For how I actually use a rifle though, which is fast target acquisition and shooting, I like the TriggerTech Diamond with a flat shoe. It's a two stage but with a very light first stage. It's easy to get used to starting at the wall on it, which makes it very much like shooting a single stage and it's lighter and crisper from there than the Geissele in my opinion and that is saying quite a bit because the Geissele is pretty nice. TriggerTech measures out more consistent pull to pull on my trigger scale too.

- DAA

·
Administrator
10,831 Posts
I have a Geissele (forgot the exact model) in my .308 AR and it made a huge, really huge difference in my trigger control. The range we use (besides our property) has a long yardage course, the last time I was there they had steel set up to 400 yards which I was able to hit and make the plate move. They might have a longer one set up by now.

In a typical suburban neighborhood, collateral damage in a shooting situation would be a real concern with a rifle round. Pistol caliber hollow points probably not so much but it will go through drywall. Even a 380 hollow point will go through drywall but not blow through that and plywood in my very limited testing.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Thanks all for the input!

So I like the 300 black out, but I also like to put a lot of lead down range when I shoot. I pulled up some ballistics test on both the 300 and 5.56 and I think 5.56 is good enough, and it's a more affordable round. Maybe my 2nd AR I can get a little more creative LOL

Thanks @Desert Dog for turning me onto the Springfield, I checked out their Saint Victor pistol and really like it.
That's just plain sexy in my eyes, but we all know looks ain't everything :)

SAINT® Victor 5.56 AR-15 Pistol - OD Green - Springfield Armory

View attachment 74936
American Rifleman this month covers both Springfield's new Saint Edge Pistols.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started with a Ruger AR 556 and added a 3 MOA co-witness red dot, B.A.D lever, H3 recoil buffer using tungsten weights off of Amazon, a fixed stock and a 2-point sling - ready to grab by MOE K grip and engage threats like charging squirrels, pop cans, ANTIFA and other targets of opportunity. Kept 2-stage trigger but used JP springs to bring pull down to 4.5 lbs. Going to mount in jeep in some fashion.
Built a second lower for 300 BO (I cast my own boolits for it), 6.5 Grendel w/single stage 3lb trigger and big optics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts