Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with these or seen them in action. I found an awsome deal on these that cant be beat. They guy told me they are almost 34in tires. Its almost too good to pass up. Please let me know. Thanks
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
I would've got those too except they didn't come in a 35". Nice tires for all around use very similar to the BFG AT.

G

·
0 Posts
My buddy Jon who is a member of our 4WD club - Rebel 4x4 has a set mounted on his '93 Explorer. They are much more aggressive than an all-terrain - meaty tread blocks all over the tire as well as the sidewall. They are not noisy tires, and did not fail in the wilderness of Baja, California when we traveled there in August. They are very aggressive looking, and they also wore real well on both the trail as well as Hwy 1 going down to Baja as well as on the road back to the 'states. I would definitely give these tires a shot - especially if the deal is a great one. Congratulations! Now buy these!!
-Ken

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Firestone tires are made from the worst recipe of tread manufacturing of all the tire makers. My father worked for BFG for many years before moving on to Ford who solely used Firestones. They contantly tested their tires against the competitors and Firestone's would fail moreoften than even the cheapest brand of tires. I would be wary of using them on my jeep regardless of the price. A failure on a tire larger than 28 inches can be devastating.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I had a set of Firestones on my YJ that really lasted and worked good offroad. I would recommend them

I am still curious why Ford was the only manufacturer [that I know of at least] who had problems with the firestones. Especially since they were underinflating the tires and the tires were failing exactly where an underinflated tire would??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Actually, percentage wise GM had just as many failures as Ford did. The reason Ford shows more is due to the quantity of them in use. Ford used Firestones for 70% I believe of their total truck fleet while GM only used about 30-40%. The pressure while a failure-factor should not have caused such catastrophic failures in the tires. Low pressue at highway speed in other brands yields cracking and eventual flats, but not tread seperations. The firestone issue is a heat buildup higher than normal resulting in a seperation of the bonding agent that adhere's the tread to the tire which should not happen if properly constructed. It's a definate advantage to work in Ford public affairs and be able to see all the raw data to really see how bad those tires were and quite possibly still are.

G

·
0 Posts
4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility sure gave this new tire a thumb's up. I guess they're using a new manufacturing process called UNI-T that will help the overall construction of the tire carcass. Maybe this will help the company win over new customers...
-Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
Uni-T is a Bridgestone technology, and I think ( not 100% sure ) Bridgestone owns Firestone. I had Firestone RMT ( not same as Destination MT ) on a Nissan 4x4 size 33x12.50-15, and never had any problem with them. except they were really bad in snow. They even lasted 45000 miles. A friend of mine has a set of Destination MT on his Rubi, and he's very satisfied with the choice ( same size as stock ).

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres an FYI about the Destination.....

So Ive been running them for 2 months now and they are great...good all around tire..not too noisey, good on rock and mud and not too loud on the streeet(comparable to the MTRs I used to run). So, I decided to go buy the 5th spare this weekend. Apparently alot of other people think they are good tires too...because the district of firestone that I am in is backorderd 950 tires!!! Crazy huh.....I think firestone may have finally found a winner.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
zeiter said:
Uni-T is a Bridgestone technology, and I think ( not 100% sure ) Bridgestone owns Firestone. I had Firestone RMT ( not same as Destination MT ) on a Nissan 4x4 size 33x12.50-15, and never had any problem with them. except they were really bad in snow. They even lasted 45000 miles. A friend of mine has a set of Destination MT on his Rubi, and he's very satisfied with the choice ( same size as stock ).
U R Correct Bridgestone does own Firestone
and...........
OOO the horror of it,
Alot of the tires are made in the same factories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts