Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She set me up with an appointment to have mine changed. I don't know if I'll go thru with this swap. I'm old school, if it ain't broke don't fix it, basically. Mine steers pretty good. I've up graded the steering links with HD aftermarket pieces and added the sector shaft brace but done nothing to the factory box.
What I'm wondering is, are these aluminum boxes really inferior to these new metal boxes. Mine has 16,000 and that much more not showing being flat towed behind my RV. Another few months and the warranty will expire.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
3,602 Posts
The new steel box tightened up the steering on my JT - it had less than 2000 miles total when the box was changed. It was a definite improvement.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
If they are willing to pay for it then I see no reason not to. If you don't and there isn't officially a recall I'd bet money that it will fail about 1500 miles after the warranty expires and you'll be stuck with the bill.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My bad. I found a thread on another forum, JLWrangler.com that has a thread 133 pages long. I'm a member there and didn't know it existed. I never follow the catagory the thread is in. some have had the TSB work and like it, others still aren't happy. I am begining to think wait it out and if/when the reported $400 part fails, bolt on a new one.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would put the new box in. The new one is a better design for a few reasons.
I have seen that JLWrangler thread and wouldn't put too much into it. The whole site seems to be full of complainers. The difference between off roaders and mall crawlers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would put the new box in. The new one is a better design for a few reasons.
No offense intended.What are those few reasons ? Are you assuming or do you have a link to data explaining how it’s a better design.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new steel box tightened up the steering on my JT - it had less than 2000 miles total when the box was changed. It was a definite improvement.
What is the build date of your JT ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If they are willing to pay for it then I see no reason not to. If you don't and there isn't officially a recall I'd bet money that it will fail about 1500 miles after the warranty expires and you'll be stuck with the bill.
My concern is, most of the mechanics are no more than a bunch of monkeys. It’s been well reported, work is often performed sub-par. I don’t want a can of worms opened, which happens. BTDT will my Ram. BTW, it is a TSB and not a total recall. The Dealer Service dude the FCA Rep. dialed up, said he didn’t know anything about this TSB, what is it about haha. I was told by the FCA Rep. that called, all I needed to say was I have a steering issue. A new box was going to be assigned to this case and it would be changed. FCA is changing out the box as needed and or requested by owners. Way they called me was a surprise to me.

·
3,602 Posts
What is the build date of your JT ?
Feb 2020. Best I can tell from reading, 2021 models are coming with the new steel box. According to the folks on the gladiator forum, the assembly line switched over to the steel box sometime in August.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read after 7/22/20, all JT's where getting a metal steering box. Just what was on the web?

·
Registered
599 Posts
So if your build date is early enough you get a new steering box and software to go along with it. The software is a key part in this. Think of the Boeing Max fiasco.
Jk's are know to sheer the steering shaft when stressed with a severe enough load. JL/JT don't seem to have this problem (yet) but I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of a aluminum box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So not data link on the metal box being better. Assumptions

·
Registered
599 Posts
No link. Sorry, I get info second hand and won't post unless I am sure.
You have seen the reviews about the outcomes. If you are happy with your box then leave it, I just know I would install the upgrade on my own Jeep.
If you really think your dealer has monkeys , and you could be riight, what are you going to do if you have a major warranty concern?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I'm waitjng for mine, although if it did not get replaced I would not worry much. It drives much better than my TJs, YJs, and CJs did. But it does wonder a little. I guess I just need to stay awake and herd it along!

·
3,602 Posts
My CJ-8 on old 35 inch tires drove better than the gladiator before the steering box got changed.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
of worms opened, which happens. BTDT will my Ram. BTW, it is a TSB and not a total recall. The Dealer Service dude the FCA Rep. dialed up, said he didn’t know anything about this TSB, what is it about haha. I was told by the FCA Rep. that called, all I needed to say was I have a steering issue. A new box was going to be assigned to this case and it would be changed. FCA is changing out the box as needed and or reque
It all depends on what dealership you go to. I'm friends with a few people at my local dealer and they are all great. Their main Jeep mechanic built one of the nicest Broncos out there. The owners let him build a TJ Brute because they had a spare TJ Rubicon on the lot and he had down time (the dealership still owns it but he takes it to shows). I fully trust any advice they give me and wouldn't hesitate to bring my Jeep there for work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Still opinions but no data as to why it is better. Sure a new metal box in spec will be better than a out of spec aluminum box. The problem is not with aluminum boxes, the problem is with QC of the machining of some of them. I hope those new metal boxes have better Q.C. I'd like to keep my alumium box if there is nothing internally better with the metal box. Ithas been fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It took alot of years for car manufactures to figure out how to make reliable aluminum engines. Jeep wouldn't have a updated box if they didn't have to. They don't like spending money on warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts