Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find where this issue was posted here, but I've been contributing to a thread on that "other" jeep forum regarding faulty tailgate hinges. Without going into a ton of detail, (if interested you can read the linked thread), but basically many owners of newer jeeps (pre mid 2013) are having the tailgate stopper pull out of the capture mechanism. Best I can tell, it affects 2011 thru early 2013 Jeep Wranglers, all models. Apparently the hinge design changed in 2011 and it has caused broken stopper straps, hinge covers, tail light damage and in some cases bent bodywork. Chrysler redesigned the hinge in mid 2013 to fix the problem on newer models. If you have this problem or a stock 2011 thru early 2013, read this thread, it might save you some grief as I got mine replaced under warranty with the help of info from that thread. One word of caution, if you take your Jeep in to have the hinges evaluated, do NOT have anything but a stock spare tire hanging from the tailgate or you'll probably have a hard time getting anywhere with them. Page 6 is where i made the post with the part # your dealer will need to order. Good luck!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-tailgate-stopper-broke-195265.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts