Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing new tires soon, I am currently running toyo mt open country but thinking of trying the Falken MT or MTR with Kevlar. Would like opinions from people who have ran either

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
I've run two sets of the MTR Kevlar and they are an excellent all around road and trail tire. My two sets required quite a bit of balance weight (as in they aren't real true) and when wheeling in damp sand the tread blocks packed up and I lost all traction trying to climb a small ledge. It was embarrassing getting strapped on a minor obstacle. After the last set, I changed to Nitto Trail Grapplers.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I've had 35" MTRs on my Jeep for the last 50k miles. I have no real complaints about them. From what I've read they are extremely difficult to balance and I am blaming them for my remaining steering wobble issues. I have no real proof that they are the cause, but I have replaced everything else and still have a wobble around 40mph and on hardish braking from highway speeds. There's still enough tread on them for at least another year, but I'm stepping up to 37s and going to try a different tire. I'm likely going with the new KM3s, but Trail grapplers, STT Pros, Falken and Toyo mud terrains are all on my list.

·
1,482 Posts
I have the Goodyear MTRs. I’ve had 3 different brands with 2 of those being on my CJ. My TJ has always had Goodyear MTRs and if I still had my CJ, I’m sure it would have The Goodyears.
Why?
The tread lasts. The tire cups eventually, but I don’t care....not enough anyway.
The sidewalls are beasts.
Beads are reset easily. Just add air. (By the way - 33s on 15s)
I’ve run them accidentally with 2 lbs. Amazing, but not recommended.

Why not?
Mud load up like John said. Out here most of our mud is sandy. They do fine in sandy mud.

It was good that I tried other brands. I don’t wonder as much.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I’ve had 3 sets of MTRk’s. 245’s, 305/75/16’s and 315/70/17’s.
They are an ok tire if you like noise, religiously balancing and rotating at 3000 miles and constant vibration.
They are pretty good off road but the street manners leave a bit to be desired.
Currently have Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12:50 x 17.
I looked at the Falken Tires but the reviews were about the same as the MTR’s as far as balancing. They are less costly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run my own tire and repair shop and have been a falken dealer for the last 3 years. My experience with falken has been everything I could expect. I sell lots of the AT3 and am very impressed. I've also been selling more and more of the MT and love it. VERY quiet for a mud tire. I have them on my 05 Rubicon and my 87 YJ. Both very highly recommend. No need to spend extra on the name

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
I run my own tire and repair shop and have been a falken dealer for the last 3 years. My experience with falken has been everything I could expect. I sell lots of the AT3 and am very impressed. I've also been selling more and more of the MT and love it. VERY quiet for a mud tire. I have them on my 05 Rubicon and my 87 YJ. Both very highly recommend. No need to spend extra on the name
that's good to hear....the Falken 33"tires are coming on my new JT ( will go to 35" eventually ...LOL )
:wink2:

Reactions: FLLJ

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Reactions: FLLJ

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
Walked around a JT on 40's the other day. Looked "just right" >:).

- DAA
I agree.....
however the lake roads and backroad to the mines ...33'' or 35'' are fine for me
:wink2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm in a debate on tires too. I have family that work at Michelin and can get a pretty good deal on some BFG's but not sure it's enough to offset the price difference on the Falkens. As with most of us it is a constant work in progress. I'll definitely be waiting for your review.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I have run a few sets of Falken tires, never their MT and none on my Jeep. However, I was VERY impressed with them on our Durango and on our WJ. What a great tire at an awesome price.

On my Rubi, I'm on my second set of MTRs and will be running another set when these wear out. They wear excellent, very very little road noise, and have been kicking ass offroad. I couldn't be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts