Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a factory skid? I have an 03' 5 speed. I'm trying to figure out if the PO installed it or if it came on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
711 Posts
It's definitely some sort of aftermarket engine/tranny skid... maybe home grown? Looks like you have stock transfer case skid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely some sort of aftermarket engine/tranny skid... maybe home grown? Looks like you have stock transfer case skid.
Thanks. I do have the stock t-case skid. I bought the Jeep 3 years ago and just assumed it was a factory skid, until someone pointed out that only autos have a skid up front. The thing is really heavy and I was thinking about removing it since I don't play on rocks. It does protect the trans and oil pan though.

·
1,600 Posts
I would try to sell it before you take it off so the buyer can see how well it's done. That would be different than seeing it on a garage floor. Beyond that, take a lot of pictures with good lighting with it on your Jeep and try to show its not rubbing anywhere and how it enhances protection. I know 03s were slightly unique as are all the years. Skids and mounting differences were a topic during the TJ years.

·
1,600 Posts
I see your oil pan now. I missed that. The difference between looking on my iPad vs a new PC monitor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if you don't play in rocks the skid adds weight close to the ground which improves your center of gravity. I would leave it on.
I thought about it and looked at what I use my Jeep for and agree with you.I have scraped it climbing lots of obstacles
and it does save the trans and oil pan. The Jeep slides over crap with no thoughts of busting up the exhaust, oil pan and trans. Thanks to all for the insight. It is a LCG build for most with 35s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts