Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be late to knowing this. But maybe it will benefit someone.

The BFG tires that the factory puts on Rubicons cup after a few thousand miles. I replaced two after less than 8,000 with the same tire. Big mistake. After 2,000 miles on the front tires, they are cupping.

A guy at Les Schwab said he sees this a lot and it's the specific BFG tire, not BFG in general. He said you can slow the cupping by rotating every 2,000 miles and running 40+ pounds.

I will finish this trip and then bite the bullet for another tire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Heard couple of stories about cupping on this stock tires as well. Really need to maintain the pressure to somehow slows it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The same used to be said about the GY MTRs that came on the TJRs. I was told by a fellow club member to rotate early and rotate often, so I did. Never had any issues all wore evenly and smooth until the tread was gone at around 35k. Replaced those with a set of take-offs I bought from an 06 which wore evenly as well.
My 2014 Willys JKU has the BFG M/Ts which I find are much quieter than the MTRs were. 14k miles and no issues. (5) tire rotation every 5k miles w/ air pressure at around 45psi seems to be the sweet spot. Least that what the chalk test indicates.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put over 18,000 miles on my stock tires with no issues whatsoever. I did the 5 tire rotation every 4-5 thousand miles. It's all about proper air pressure and rotation.
I kept them at 38, but at 7,000 I had not rotated them. Pumped them to 44 and that reduced the road noise on the cupped tires. I will nurse these for awhile and then buy something else.

·
Registered
422 Posts
5-tire rotation every 5kish. 44psi. Just did it last night at 15,108 miles. Tires look, feel and roll just as good as new. I'll be getting just as good mileage out of these BFG Muds, on the JKUW, as I did on the TJR's Goodyears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts