Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until a week ago, my 2006 F350 had been a totally reliable vehcile. I work from home, so even though the pickup is my 'daily driver' it only has 57,700 miles on it. The pickup is paid for.

Typical use is short trips to the shop (30 miles) or store locally with many 600+ mile road trips towing my Jeep wrangler on a trailer. Given the type of use, I change my oil every 3,000 miles. Fuel filters at 15k intervals, Diff fluid, tranny, and t-case all at heavy use intervals. I have no mechanical modifications to the motor (I was thinking I was protecting reliability).

My pickup does have a few mods that should not impact the motor:
Mag Hytec diff covers and tranny pan, Aero turbin muffler, 1"leveling kit and 35" tires.

Last week, my wife drove the pickup to work while her new car was being treated with some hyper expensive carpet and paint protectant... My wife complained that after 20 minutes, the heater still was not functioning. When she drove home and put it in the garage, I could hear the water boiling in the cooling system. All Guages read fine, no oil in coolant (but coolant was VERY low). I'd changed the oil no less than a week ago (less than 200 miles) and there was no coolant in the oil.

Given that it is year end at the office, I have no time to look at it and sent it off to the stealership. First call - Dealer says EGR cooler is probably leaking and that the powertrain warranty has about 6 months left so work will be covered by warranty. Second call - Dealer says EGR Cooler is NOT leaking and they have to test more... I am thinking head gasket, but I have not yet heard back.

Frankly, I'd buy a new one if I had not just dropped a small fortune on a new Lexus LS460 for my wife last saturday and (more important for me) if the new model F350 had the same little glove box by the driver's right knee that I could keep a pound of Double Bubble in...I know, weird one, but I like it. What can I say?

For me, the pickup has been utilitarian so I could spend my time and money working on my true passion - the Jeep. At this point, I am wondering if anyone here with more knowlede and experience will chime in with ideas about what is really going on with my diesel, what else I should look out for, etc. I am a bit disturbed that I have less than 60k on the clock and this type of crap is happening...

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
The 6.0 was rumored to have tons of problems with it. I would look up any recalls for it, get that fixed first, and start reading on-line about the issue. Dr. D knows tons about D's and he should know. Maybe some pic's vid's of the problem to, well help.

Thought your wife had the Camaro?

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seth - My wife 'had' the Camaro. She also had a Lexus GS300 that she daily drove. Got rid of both of those and moved to a Lexus LS460L a little over a week ago.

She was tired of waxing the Camaro and was flustered that Chevy allowed the stripe packages (which were supposed to be reserved for 2ss models) to be allowed on LT models. Her Camaro had every option available on the first day pre-orders were taken save for the sunroof. It was a fun car, but neither of us really miss it much.

I have no pics or videos of the SuperDuty. It is at the stealership since I am stuck working 18-20 hours a day right now. This engine work should all be under warranty (5 year 100,000 mi and I am at 4 yr 6 month and 57k miles).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Be glad it lasted that long. My 06 had an oil leak at 14800.00 miles that required a new engine. first engine had a "pourous block". They take the cab off for this repair. not everything was put back together correctly so I got rid of it. You may consider seeing if there is Ford extended warranty avalable. Don't buy a third party warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
6.0 = Junk... 7.3 is the ticket is the way I understand it. although 57k on the clock you shouldnt be having any trouble at all. most of the problem children I've seen all have really high mileage 100-200k in the 6.0 and 300-500k in the 7.3

·
Registered
21 Posts
I say swap a 5.9 cummins in and never back. Or by a new 6.7l and delete all the bs and your good to go. That 6.0 will never be reliable.

Your wife is lucky. That LS460L Is one nice car.

·
Registered
669 Posts
even if it is the head gaskets, it should be covered under the powertrain warranty. you will however have a deductible to pay. the cab of the truck WILL have to be removed to do head gaskets, but if its a shop that works on 6.0's regularly then they will be very familiar with this procedure and it should be a non-issue
have them do head studs while its apart. it solves the head gasket issue in the future. I have also heard of issues lately with 05+ trucks cracking heads.
the 6.0 has been a troublesome motor overall. once it is officially out of warranty, if you think you want to keep this truck for a long time, you should look into removing the EGR system completely.
do it right and have the intake welded up and remove the rest of the system and have a custom tune made for it and your truck will wake up quite a bit AND be reliable.
you seem to maintain it well, but if your not already doing it, run MOTORCRAFT cetane boost in every tank of fuel. the 6.0 was designed to run on a cetane rating of 45 yet most diesel fuel pumps usually have a max rating of 40 or so, so right off the bat your fighting a losing battle with fuel quality.
ohh and another thing, drive it like you stole it. ALL THE TIME. it keeps the engine cleaner instead of sooted up and also keeps the turbo operating properly.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it back...
Stealership claims it was a small leak in the water pump. I don't believe that for a second. I'd have seen water everywhere. The only drips under my truck are from me missing the oil funnel :laugh:

My wife is gonna drive it on a road trip in a day or so. I told her to drive it like she stole it.... Mash the throttle at every option. There is one hill that is 7% grade for about 11 miles. I told her to hit the rev limiter if she could.

We'll se waht happens from here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This maybe a dumb question but is there a problem with the radiator cap, whereas it won't hold pressure when the system gets hot. Allowing the coolant to leak out and boil. It gets hot enough in those engine bays that the coolant wouldn't be around long before it evaporated.

I've got an 06 E350 with the 6.0 diesel 115k and the only issue I've had was on the fuel side some o-rings wearing out due to heat and the high pressures according to the stealership that had to be replaced. Mine is always loaded to the gills weighing in at 4 to 5 tons with oil and supplies for my business. My pops 05 had some EGR issues but he just did the delete to eliminate that from happening again.

Hopefully the wife has no problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My buddy works on this trucks all the time. He told me that your head or heads are bad they putting the coolent out the exhust.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not a ford diesel owner, but I just read a real good article a few months ago on 4wheeler magazine about the problem with the diesels. In a nut shell they said the engines are good except for fords EGR cooler is easily clogged up which causes the oil cooler to clog, which couses blown head gaskets and other bad stuff. The pricy solution was to have some guys in Arizona who change out the coolers with better design. Even if the EGR cooler is replaced with OEM it will clog again do to the poor OEM design (sound familiar?). Sorry I don't have the article anymore, I gave it to a friend who aslo has the Ford diesel, but worth looking into. And Ford is very familiar with the clogging EGR.....

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealership let me take the pickup home today.

They replaced the wwater pump (they claim that was the cause) and added a new radiator cap too. Pressure testing theoretically ruled out EGR cooler meltdown.

My wife is taking the pickup on a 200 mile trip tomorrow. I told her to drive it like a rental. One section of the trip has an 11 mile 7-8% grade. I told her to mash the throttle and only slow down if Johnny law says so... (or the governor kicks in)

I have a really hard time believing it was the water pump. The pickup only drops oil that I spill when filing it, or condensation off the AC. Never had any coolant on the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Sure hope that was the cause, just for the sake of not having major issues and downtime to deal with. Which grade is it that the trip is on?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
This guy (http://www.everymilesamemory.com/) is an amazing photographer who posts on the Expedition Portal. He started having problems with his 6.0 after ~100K trouble free long haul miles...after he started driving his on short trips.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
desertfox1 said:
Which grade is it that the trip is on?
Grade is called "Whitebird Hill" on ID55 between the town of Whitebird and the Camas Praire (next town is Grangeville)

Wife just called in and said the Pickup did fine. Here's to hoping it actually was the waterpump :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
I've been up Whitebird once. It's a long steep one for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had problems around 50K on my F250 6.0. I had a head gasket go bad and the number 8 fuel injector. Under load while towing and getting the motor hot it would blow coolant out of somewhere under the hood. I pulled over at numerous rest stops trying to figure it out. Shortly there after the cab was off of the truck and the head gaskets were being replaced. I haven't had a problem since, 95K on the truck now.

Plain and simple, the 6.0 sucks. This guy is transitioning to a Duramax as soon as possible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. Some have pretty good luck with the 6.0...some not so much. Most of the issues were in 03-05. Watch your truck like a hawk, if you start having any issues, get it in before the warranty expires, or you might want to look at an extended warranty. The Ford diesel motors can get very expensive to repair...and quick. I put a little time in a diesel repair shop from time to time and the added cost of cab removal can get costly very quickly.
That being said, all diesels have their quirks, it just depends on what you are willing to deal with. Ford makes a solid truck with a pretty good overall package. I love the king ranch edition trucks. I wouldn't own one...but it still is a nice.
Your daily driving isn't really an issue since you drive so far to the shop. Now the short trips in town will affect your truck. The thermal cycling of the injectors is a killer. Unfortunatly, ford uses a high pressure oil pump and electronic driver, and high pressure fuel pump to fire the injector (now to be fair, the common rail diesels ie cummins/duramax use an electronic driver and high pressure fuel pump), so starting and stopping is a killer. My 04.5 CTD was fine as a tow rig for the first 50K miles due to always having a trailer behind it or long trips. As soon as I started doing "short trips", fuel system started having problems..expensive ones. I actually went back to a 2nd gen cummins due to having a less finnicky fuel system & mechanical injectors. Fuel pressure to the VP 44 is my only concern and I have that covered with a FASS system and fuel pressure gauge.
Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Just helped a guy at work do this in his pole barn, he had a lift and it still took some time. Removing the cab and labeling all the items was the biggest part of this. He replaced the head studs/bolts (use some aftermarket brand) they were stretched which led to the head gasket failure. His rig had 72,000 on it or there about, I would not want to do this again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts