Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lLoking to upgrade parking, turn signal, brake and reverse lights with LEDs and am looking for suggestions for my 2 06 LJs. I like the look of the factory rear lights, so will not replace the housing.

1) if I get a LED flasher module, do I have to do the resistor to fix the quick flash?
2) Are the simple LED replacement bulbs (1156, 1157...) any good?
3) Any brands to try or avoid?
4) Does anyone sell a complete kit?

Don't want to cheap it out, but not looking to break the bank either. Would like much brighter reverse lights, but may just mount some additional lights hooked up to the reverse lights.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Hopefully Desertfox1 on here will chime in. He should have what you want available.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
I had to install a flasher module that was compatible with LED when I installed my GenRight front fenders with LED turn signals. No resistor required. I think the module was supplied by GenRight.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,633 Posts
I did the same for my Rear ORO LiteDots
Just had to pop open the area around the steering wheel as it is located in the top section of the column

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Rears require the relay, fronts require the resistor.

Ive been reading the service manual and looking at wiring diagrams allot lately. I am guessing the Multifunction switch is where the front load is measured, hence the need for the resistor to replace the load of the standard bulb. I don't see another place the wiring goes through to read the load. I should go take out my multifunction switch to see if I can figure it out. But guessing smarter people than me have in the past.

At one point in time, I kept one bulb up front for the load, then a LED on the other circuit.

as for what LEDs, dealers choice. I don't think there is much difference. If keeping your stock housings, I would just buy the plug in equivalents.

I also wonder if keeping the stock housings why bother with LEDs. The standard bulbs last a long time...

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More of a power draw thing, i keep the parking lights on a lot while camping with the roof top tent. Plus the stock reverse lights suck.

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
I think every one of the round LED Jeep taillights I've noticed has several non-functional lights but maybe they have improved in the last few years.

Reactions: Norminator

·
2,192 Posts
That’s what would irritate me about any LED lights - the 1-3 that stop working. They need to get cheaper for me first. They are definitely brighter though and cause me to envy.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
Here is the thing on power draw. The load resistor being placed in circuit to keep the lights from a fast flash does something. It draws enough power to make the jeep think the lights are not burnt out.
So, I didn't do the math on power draw of the normal lights vs the resistor, but doubt you are saving much power.

I also just looked at teh wiring diagram, it looks like the only place to draw the power down, hook up the resistor is at the lamp. There is a common black wire to both the turn indicators. Other than that, there is no common place and doing it before lamp/LED.

Going back to my basic electronics days, it may be fuzzy.

Thinking some simple LED rock lights may be the ticket, and may have them anyway.

I would like this solution to work as well without the load circuit and save power. I will try a few things when get to the wiring part of my LJ project to see if I can find another answer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts