Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the extended warranty on my 2006 Unlimited not realizing at the time that I would mod the heck out of it and void it. Does anyone have any reason why cancelling it would be bad? I figure I can get some/all? of the cash back to do some mods with.

Any flaws in my thinking?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a simliar question too. i bought my rubi at the chevy dealership. it had the 3 year 36 thousand warranty, but i opted for the 6 year 100k miles gm backed warranty from date of purchase. should i ditch the gm warranty and just wait till the jeep warranty wears off and mod the hell out of it? or keep the gm warranty and mod away anyways?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
This is to both of you ............

First of sll your warranty may not be void........... The dealer I got mind from has Rubicons that already have mods... lifts, tires, winchs, and more. So this is covered with both the Jeep 7/70,000 or the extended. I have already put mods on mind also have taken to the dealer and the only thing the guys say is Nice Jeep.
So maybe you should keep both your warrantys and go on with the MODS, Oh Ya here is a look at mind so you don't think
I am just talking.........HTH

·
Registered
76 Posts
Who decides

Who is the final decision maker if a extended warranty is void? Dealer? Can you try another dealer if one rejects it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you ever plan on selling or trading in, not sure why you would, keep it. A friend recently traded in a Dodge Ram and got almost 3500 for the existing warranty. I guess this is something the dealers take into account when figuring the value of a vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you plan on doing more mods get rid of it and put the money towards the mods. When it comes down to it the will not cover much, they rarely cover much with factory warranty, you think extented will be any better with mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
in my opinion extended warranties are worthless because they will find some way to screw you over and say it was abuse or neglect and get out of it blah blah plus slim chance of major problems, they usually happen after 100k anyways - just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
I had an extended on mine with no issues (I had some doodads on mine :laugh: ). If you bought it, keep it. The only time extended warranties are a waste is if you never use them. We've always used ours and come out a head by thousands on repairs. We always do the zero deductible.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know from personal experiance with sport bikes and cars. Modding will not specifically void the warranty. I dont know if anyone has posted anything about the magnuson moss warranty act but you can do a serch on google and read up on it.

I had a 03 cbr600rr that I used as a track bike. I put after market suspension, wheels, sprockets, brakes and tons of other stuff. I am no racer so I really never took the bike to its 15000 redline I am a more average rider and take it easy on the track. After a year I started getting a knocking noise from the engine and took it in since I had the extended factory warranty. The dealership said no way warranty was void. I went home called my lawyer he told me about the mag moss act and I took some paper work to the dealership.

I had a 03 chevrolet zr2 and I put a 4 inch suspension lift, snorkel, after market exhaust and a few other things. Same thing happened but it was the ac on this vehicle. I took the same paper to that dealership.

Both cases the problems got fixed. They replaced the ac compressor on the truck and put in a new engine on the bike. Both cases non of the mods I did could have caused the problems.

A dealer has to prove that a particular part has caused the part your trying to get fixed to fail. They can not just say your warranty is void they have to prove it. That is where it takes the consumer to get in and get their hands dirty and fight for what they paid for.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,045 Posts
I have had my heavily modded TJ (RELA, 6" airock, 35s) in for warranty work without any issues. In fact it is going in for a TC leak soon. It really depends on your dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Mortum said:
I know from personal experiance with sport bikes and cars. Modding will not specifically void the warranty. I dont know if anyone has posted anything about the magnuson moss warranty act but you can do a serch on google and read up on it.

I had a 03 cbr600rr that I used as a track bike. I put after market suspension, wheels, sprockets, brakes and tons of other stuff. I am no racer so I really never took the bike to its 15000 redline I am a more average rider and take it easy on the track. After a year I started getting a knocking noise from the engine and took it in since I had the extended factory warranty. The dealership said no way warranty was void. I went home called my lawyer he told me about the mag moss act and I took some paper work to the dealership.

I had a 03 chevrolet zr2 and I put a 4 inch suspension lift, snorkel, after market exhaust and a few other things. Same thing happened but it was the ac on this vehicle. I took the same paper to that dealership.

Both cases the problems got fixed. They replaced the ac compressor on the truck and put in a new engine on the bike. Both cases non of the mods I did could have caused the problems.

A dealer has to prove that a particular part has caused the part your trying to get fixed to fail. They can not just say your warranty is void they have to prove it. That is where it takes the consumer to get in and get their hands dirty and fight for what they paid for.
Excellent point! The manufacturer's or aftermarket extended warranty has to attribute the failure as being caused by a modification. Mine has paid for itself several times over. A disc player's failure can't be caused by a TB crank. AC problems can't be created by larger tires. An ECM failure cannot be a result of aftermarket rims. It is just common sense. If, you do your own preventative maintenance, keep all your receipts in an envelope in the glove box. If, they ask for them then, tell them where they are at and let them look through the wallyworld receipts for the Mobil 1 amidst the groceries and other items. They won't even try at that point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, if wanting a refund, is where the refund goes. I thought about the refund angle and was told it would be refunded to the Credit Union I financed through. Okay to shorten the loan term but no good for immediate upgrades. I decided to keep it and it already saved my bacon. I had a defective Crank shaft balancer and it caused a leak at the crankshaft seal. I also had a leak from the auto trans lines. All told, including a loaner car, it was over $800.00. Of course it happened 10k miles past the 3yr/36000. Glad I had the extended coverage then. Just a couple of more things to think about before requesting the refund. Good Luck.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts