Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told before or I should say I was given a link to what backspacing was. Needless to say I still don't know what this is. Can you help?

Thanks in advance,
BigasaMountain
BAAM
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
Wheel Backspacing
Rear wheel backspacing is the distance between the inboard edge of the wheel and the mounting surface of the wheel that bolts against the axle hub. It is measured by placing the wheel face down on a flat surface; lay a straight edge across the inboard edge of the wheel, and measure from the wheel mounting surface to the straight edge with a ruler.

0" backspacing means that there is a equal amount of spacing on each side of the wheel...example...3.5 on the front, and 3.5 on the rear.

Positive is more on the curb side of the wheel, negative has more on the frame side.


Most wheel companies tell what the backspacing is.

Hope this was not too confusing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Mac, care to be a guest lecturer in Jeep Suspension 101?

But I thought it was always measured from the backside, eg, 4 inch BS on an 8 inch wheel would mean the mounting face is centered on the wheel.

Jerry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
I think Mud Puppy is correct. Thanks.

Jerry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
OK... so if I want to run 35 inch tires on 15x8 wheels... what kind of backspacing would you recommend??? I am pretty strong on my knowledge up until this backspacing crap. :oops:

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
35x12.5 you want to run 15x8 rims with 3.75 backspacing... This gives you a nice wide stance and premium turning radius...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
4'' bspace would also be cool....
give ya tad wider and fun to spray the sides of your jeep all the time....
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
4'' bspace would also be cool....
give ya tad wider and fun to spray the sides of your jeep all the time....
:wink:
4" backspacing would not be as wide....You would have a measurement of 4" from the inner edge to the center.....You are a quater inch wider with 3.75 back spacing..
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
LILRDJP said:
4x4mac said:
4'' bspace would also be cool....
give ya tad wider and fun to spray the sides of your jeep all the time....
:wink:
4" backspacing would not be as wide....You would have a measurement of 4" from the inner edge to the center.....You are a quater inch wider with 3.75 back spacing..
i was referring to our Moab wheels with 5''
so 4''b spacing wheels would stick out more.. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
LILRDJP said:
4x4mac said:
4'' bspace would also be cool....
give ya tad wider and fun to spray the sides of your jeep all the time....
:wink:
4" backspacing would not be as wide....You would have a measurement of 4" from the inner edge to the center.....You are a quater inch wider with 3.75 back spacing..
i was referring to our Moab wheels with 5''
so 4''b spacing wheels would stick out more.. :wink:
I stand corrected on that....... :? :wink:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See with pictures there would have been no confusion :splat: :D

Ron
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
See with pictures there would have been no confusion :splat: :D

Ron
im not as good a teacher as the MASTER J!
:oops:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
:bowing: :bowing: Master J.

Ron
:atabove: :atabove:

so Ron.... we agree "Master J" is a good name for the Prof.

:wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,745 Posts
Hey! Knock it off, or my friend here will pay you a visit:

:tomcat:

Jerry
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:oops: Sorry newbie still is dense like a watered Log.

I still don't understand
Baam
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,116 Posts
BigasaMountain said:
:oops: Sorry newbie still is dense like a watered Log.

I still don't understand
Baam
what part dont ya understand?

whats missing ?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Visuals, I like to learn by seeing and listening. Guess you could say I am a visual learner.

Sorry... :cry:

BAAM
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top