Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my jeep back and it's fixed! Reference my earlier post http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB ... 1794#11794

Anyway the first dealer I took it too blew me off and said it was normal ops. I knew that it wasn't. Even though it didn't sound like anything serious. Sounded more like an exhaust leak or a lifter or something. Anyway I took it in to a second dealer (the one I bought it from) and told them what happened at the first dealership and made sure they could hear the noise and admit that it wasn't normal ops. I just wanted to get it checked out before I started putting mods on the jeep, and having them blame it on something I did.

Anyhow, they determined it to be something in the transmission. They changed out the tourque converter and the front transmission pump. They didn't know exactly what it was... something internal. All I know is that when I started it there was no longer that annoyoing ticking/tapping noise! Kinda sad since the Rubi has less than 3K miles on it. I'm just glad it's fixed. I was starting to think I was hearing things... :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same ticking, but mine is a manual. Haven't taken it in as it really hasn't bothered me but I wonder what could be the problem for me?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ticking Fixed?

Hello Jimmy - I have an auto which while accelerating I hear a ticking almost like a tappet sound, annoying like hell. Dealer already replaced front pump but never could source the noise, now I plan on returning to him. Hope they go for replacing the torque convertor

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck getting the dealer to fix it. I knew if I just took it in and left it that they would just say either they couldn't hear it or that it was normal. So I made sure that when I took it in that I had the service manager and mechanic listen to it and acknowledge they heard the sound. I then went to a new Rubi on the lot and had them liste to that. No ticking. It almost sounded like an exhaust leak but when they were underneath it they heard it coming from the tranny. I told them I had taken it to another dealer who just blew me off. I think that made them work extra hard to fix it. And I'm glad they did. I had to leave it at the dealership for 4 days, and since I didn't have an extended warranty I wasn't able to get a rental. It was worth it. I asked the dealer if I had a big lift and tires if they still would've covered it. He said they would've. But you know that's a very grey area...

Good luck!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Wasn't there a thread a while back (either here or on JU) that '03 Rubis have a problem with exhaust header coming loose?

I have the same engine ticking/knocking noise (especially in 5th gear at more than 70mph). Wondering if this could be the exhaust header leaking?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've had that since about 200miles on my '04!

Sounds JUST LIKE MY SE did with an exhaust leak!

drives me crazy

·
Registered
340 Posts
hydrolic(sp) lifters/tappets/push rods in the 4.0 will tick/tap.Normal.
The common fix is to go to a heavier wieght of oil.
Are you running 5/30,if so, there is your problem.
Try a 10/30.Most likely the tapping w/go away.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great..

I haven't changed the oil yet.. Just rolled 1500 miles on the Odometer.

I've been thinking of going to a synthetic.. Any opinions on that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts