Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second issue I need resolved: I have what sounds like on occasion a massive lifter tick upon start up. So loud I'm just waiting for a rod to come through the block..............shut the engine off...............turn it immediately back on and nothing other than a very slight ticking. Only time the engine was ever touched repair wise is at 36K the Cam Position Sensor was replaced, but when that happened the symptom was that it sounded like a squeking belt at start up. Any thoughts, again, I got a very long trip coming up and I really would hate to be stranded as I have twice before goingcross country in the middle of BFE. Engine currently has 82k on it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I am experiencing the same condition. Started about 4 months ago, took it to the dealership (under warranty) and by the time I got there it stopped. I would have had to leave it with them over night so they could start it cold. Couldn't be without it at that time. Then didn't hear it again for a while. Happens intermittently, sometimes louder than other times.

Unfortunately, I am now out of warranty. Did it again so, I took it back to the dealership about two weeks ago, but by the time I got there it stopped or wasn't nearly as loud as when I started out. They said all the 4 liters do that, nothing to worry about. Problem is, it didn't "always" do it, it is a new development.

Mines an 03 with 58k.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'm in the same boat right now, nearly identical symtoms. Took it to a mechanic yesterday whom i go to church with and he thinks it is a colasped lifter and told me to first try running a little ATF in with the oil and clean the lifters first and if that did not work he would have to replace the lifters. The dealership i took it to first said the same thing and wanted $1300 to fix it. He said he can do it for less then $800. i Put about half a qt. of ATF in last night and will change this oil when i get home from work.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me know if that resolves the issue for you if you would please.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Take a ratchet with a long extension and a short extension and tighten the living crap out of your 4 exhaust manifold bolts (from underneath)....I promise they're loose. It's exhaust. :D

Please report back if they were, in fact loose.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Exhaust bolts are one thing and don't sound anything like a lifter tick. I hate those damn exhaust bolts-have to tighten them up about every wheeling trip, and it only takes maybe an 1/8th turn at most. Dumb things. Must be a better way to fasten those together that will handle repeated heating/cooling cycles from the exhaust and still not loosen up every outting. I've kinda wondered if some form of gasket in there might help, but kinda doubt that too as the copper gaskets I used in my old built Chev truck only lasted so long too before needing tightened. Though they did last months rather than days...

I have a nasty suspicion this "tick" is the cause for my #2 cylinder misfire. Whether it be a lifter, flat lobe on the cam or sticky valve that won't accept the cleaning, I don't know-not real anxious to find out either as it could be big $$$$ to repair properly. Kinda surprised lately as there seems to be a fair amount of folks with bad lifters, cracked heads, bent rods and other similar issues going on. Not fun.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To add to mine I have yet to throw any code what so ever

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I've had that tick many times this year during the "colder" mornings (aka less than 50 degrees here in CA). It starts maybe a minute or two after startup and lasts maybe 10-20 seconds and then goes away.

It is not consistent and it hasn't done it for a few months now but I didn't do anything special. Now I have a different noise that builds up but I think this is the belt being loose a bit and causing some sort of resonance in one of the pulleys. I have a YORK so I need to manually adjust things a bit again I think.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Mine's not throwing any codes either. I too have a York and thought maybe the tick was coming from it. The oil level is good and I can't see anything wrong with it. Still pumps air great. My tick only happens on start up when the engine is cold. Not always though and sometimes it's louder than others. :?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
kbee said:
i'm in the same boat right now, nearly identical symtoms. Took it to a mechanic yesterday whom i go to church with and he thinks it is a colasped lifter and told me to first try running a little ATF in with the oil and clean the lifters first and if that did not work he would have to replace the lifters. The dealership i took it to first said the same thing and wanted $1300 to fix it. He said he can do it for less then $800. i Put about half a qt. of ATF in last night and will change this oil when i get home from work.
If it is a lifter, it is a pretty easy job to do youself. The head is pretty exposed. I've done a headgasket on a 4.0L in just a few hours. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
bob1340 said:
Engine TICK.

Oil sucking devils!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I have the same issue on start up and it has been that way for the past 30k miles. I'll worry when it goes away

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yea mine does this every so often. I park with my jeep pointing downhill and I assume that its due lack of oiling upon start up cuz after about 15 seconds it goes away. I dont think it has to do with anything other than the the lifters sticking somewhat.
If I get the extra money oneday Ill rebuild the head and maybe get some type of head work done ( 3angle vavle, port match).
But anyway like I said I think my cause is lack of oil at startup or atleast I hope so. Mine does seem to happen about every 6 months or so.

It is Jeep I guess :D :dhorse:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yea mine does this every so often. I park with my jeep pointing downhill and I assume that its due lack of oiling upon start up cuz after about 15 seconds it goes away. I dont think it has to do with anything other than the the lifters sticking somewhat.
If I get the extra money oneday Ill rebuild the head and maybe get some type of head work done ( 3angle vavle, port match).
But anyway like I said I think my cause is lack of oil at startup or atleast I hope so. Mine does seem to happen about every 6 months or so.

It is Jeep I guess :D :dhorse:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I park mine on level surface and have the problem. I checked the exhaust bolts and they were a bit loose. Tightened them up and still have noise.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Mine does it when it's cold outside, right after starting her up. Goes away after it's warmed up. I always attributed it to the inline 6 and taking a few minutes for the oil to make it's way up.

Yes/No/Maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Big Show said:
Mine does it when it's cold outside, right after starting her up. Goes away after it's warmed up. I always attributed it to the inline 6 and taking a few minutes for the oil to make it's way up.

Yes/No/Maybe?
I've had mine since day 1 and this is what I always thought it was. If the engine is hot when I start it up it doesn't happen, but on a cold start it always happens for about 5 seconds or so.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Mine has always had a cold lifter tick too. Never gave it much thought. Actually, always kind of hoped it would turn into something serious so I would have a good excuse to pull that gutless pig and put something decent under the hood...

- DAA

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
The best cheap potential fix for this issue is to purchase a high flow oil pump and I recommend changing out your cam sync and OPDG. If you don't fix this issue early on expect an expensive fix 30K or so miles down the road after you notice it start. Cam will be a potential problem as well as the lifters and push rods so I recommend dealing with the issue asap.

For those already noticing the lifter stick problem this may cure it, if not your damage is probably extensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts