·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few manufacturers out there for skids, but I am pretty
green in this area.

They are put out by groups like TCG, RE, Skid Row, Warn, etc.. but I
haven't seen any reviews on fit (alone or in combination with other skids,
or stock Rubi shovel), durability, weight, trade offs, etc.

If you have any experience with these things for the TJ, I would appreciate hearing it.

Bilbo
LasvEgas

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Bilbo79 said:
....I haven't seen any reviews on fit (alone or in combination with other skids,
or stock Rubi shovel), durability, weight, trade offs, etc.

If you have any experience with these things for the TJ, I would appreciate hearing it.

Bilbo
LasvEgas
Go down 3 topics in this forum for PA Rubicon's writeup on the Skid Row engine skid. http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=387

Jerry

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like the Mopar skid and considering the price, easily the best skid on the market. If you are running lift you will have to modify it but that isn't a big deal at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i have one on the way and i sure hope i do not have to modify it, considering this is WARN's product description:

"WARN® OIL PAN SKID PLATE FOR THE JEEP® TJ WRANGLER
The unique design virtually eliminates rust creating welds. The skid plate is a bolt-on design with a frame attachment bracket that allows drive shaft travel. It also means easy conversion from a stock to lifted vehicle. Made from 1/8" and 3/8" steel and black powder coated."

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
i have one on the way and i sure hope i do not have to modify it, considering this is WARN's product description:

The unique design virtually eliminates rust creating welds. The skid plate is a bolt-on design with a frame attachment bracket that allows drive shaft travel. It also means easy conversion from a stock to lifted vehicle. Made from 1/8" and 3/8" steel and black powder coated."
mike let me know how it works... i dont wana re-invent the wheel!
thanks
mac

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:

The older ones you had to do a little modification to as the drivers side bracket went under the driveshaft. This maybe fine if you are never going to disconnect or do a lift. I had to cut mine off.
From what I understand now about the warn on is that they actually learned that anyone that is going to buy one of these is going to off-road. So they have not made the Driverside bracket go over the driveshaft. 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I installed and wheeled upon one of the new Warn engine skids. They are only 1/8" steel, and it showed on the trail. The trail (you can see the pics of that day here- http://www.mindkiller.net/jeep/trails_051803/ ) was all rocks and I was still at stock lift height.

The new Warn skid mounts OVER the front driveshaft, so it will accept any lift height. I tried a factory Mopar skid on my 2000 TJ that had the UNDER design with the front driveshaft, that sucked. The tolerances are so close it was almost impossible to modify (although I have seen people do it).

The install? Toss the directions. Unbolt the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke and move it aside. Assemble the skid parts all at once on the ground and move it up into place. It's too cumbersome to do it the way the directions tell you.

The Warn skid did it's job, but bent. Not badly, but there's a wave in it now. One drawback about the design is that it fits between the frame mounts of the LCAs, and after I did some serious banging on this thing, it loosened the control arms a little and I gt that banging noise from both arms when the suspension articulated.

The skid comes with shims to fill any gap (I probably have some), I'll try that out tonight when I do an oil change. I had the Skid Row engine skid on my previous 2000 TJ and that skid is a WAY better design- 7/16" steel, too.

You get what you pay for. $125 is a decent price and the Warn skid does it's job. I'll be keeping mine. The Skid Row is worth the extra $100. BTW- we had another stock height Rubicon with us that day (the red one) you can see in the pictures- he had no engine skid and sustained some serious damage- oil pan dented, lost the air line to the front locker.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the write ups. i appreciate it. this was just the kind of
information that i was hoping to get here.

someone told me the skid row product mates well with both the stock
shovel, and the RE LA kids. thats good news for now, and future mods.

Bilbo
LasvEgas

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
sounds like the WARN may suck. maybe i'll sell mine when it gets here.
It doesn't completely suck, I just think the Skid Row skid is a better design. The Warn still does it's job.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does the installation of the Skid Row require the front driveshaft removal?

I too am trying to decide between the two. If you bang on the Skid Row enough it would also loosen up the LCA bolt? They both have the same design regarding the LCA bolt right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
saigonsmuggler said:

I too am trying to decide between the two. If you bang on the Skid Row enough it would also loosen up the LCA bolt? They both have the same design regarding the LCA bolt right?
No, the Skid Row doesn;t make you remove the front driveshaft. And we're not talking about talking to WHOLE driveshaft out with the Warn, either- just unbolting the straps and moving it aside.

The Warn skid uses BOTH LCA bolts. The Skid Row only uses one (passenger side). The Skid Row design keeps the one LCA bolt you use tighter because it pins the skid right up against it really tight.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
saigonsmuggler said:

I have a warn and I had it for 2 years on my 2K and never once did the LCA come loose. Use some loctite and 120 ft/lbs of torque and you will definately not come loose.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the Skid Row Engine skid. It is solid, has taken a lickin and still no sign of damage or weakness what so ever. Paragon tested, Jeff approved. I give it 2 thumbs up... Easy to install, and it stops that bulldoser effect we have without it "the shovel". No really it looks great an very tough. If you want pictures email me @ [email protected] i will send them to you.

G

·
0 Posts
I think the best thing about the skid row design is that it will integrate perfectly with their transfer case lift that is expected out in fall. They will have two models, one for lifted, and one for stock.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i am going to try to get my WARN on this weekend, so i can get the oil pan covered before moab next weekend. hopefully it will go well.

if anyone is considering buying the WARN, jparts.com sells it for $84.15 + $4.50 shipping. i see people paying $125 + shipping - ouch!

jparts.com SKU: W82206334

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
i am going to try to get my WARN on this weekend, so i can get the oil pan covered before moab next weekend. hopefully it will go well.

if anyone is considering buying the WARN, jparts.com sells it for $84.15 + $4.50 shipping. i see people paying $125 + shipping - ouch!

jparts.com SKU: W82206334

THat is the one that I have and would suggest to anyone. It is a good product and does the job for a lot less $$.. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I second that. Although, I have to pound mine back into shape because I caught it on a rock as I was backing up and it pulled it up slightly from the tranny skid.

G

·
0 Posts
Value vs: Expectations

I don’t want to criticize anyones opinion so I wont other than to give my own. Everyone wants to feel good about the purchase they made but a large part of being satisfied is “Expectation”. How hard of an impact do you expect to take?, how often?, Do you care if it bends?, what does it cover? How is it mounted?, How Much does it COST?

You have to decide if the Warn is a good value. It sounds like a good deal and probably will stop some damage under average use but the old adage, “You get what you Pay for” is with few exceptions pretty much the case with everything. There is no comparison between the Warn and the SkidRow, don’t kid your self. The SkidRow can take the full weight of your Jeep and not budge and truly is a “Skid Plate”, much more than Just Oil Pan protection.

Having said that no one can decide “Value for the Buck” more than your wallet can. Having NO skid plate would be worse than not having a better one!

·
Registered
467 Posts
absoultely true, and i am second guessing this purchase and would never recommend a skid this thin to anyone. i'll let them research and decide if its right for them.

i find myself sliding the undercarriage across rocks more than dropping down onto them so it may work for me. and if it ever looks like it isnt doing its job the way i want it to, i will swap it out with something else, SKID ROW perhaps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts