Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a free Lincoln Electric AC 225 from the high school where my son teaches. It needs new stinger(25') and ground(15') cables. Do you know what gauge those would be? It came with a beefy extension cord so I'm not trying to go longer on the cables. Do you prefer a particular cable source?

I already upgraded the 8 gauge to 6 to the garage and put in a 50 amp breaker. I have a LE 3350 helmet coming Friday from Baker's Gas.

Thanks

·
3,746 Posts
Can't help you with the cables Norm, but interested in how your project goes. I really like welding and fabricating. Do you have some projects lined up?

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
I don't remember what the gauge is for the stinger and ground lead but your local welding shop should be able to help. Another option is to use one of the online wire gauge calculators - plug in 200 amps and 50 volts, I guess you would need 2/0 cable.

That Lincoln tombstone AC buzz box must be in 10s of thousands of high school shop/ag classrooms.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a very faint AWG 4 on the original cables. If I ran the welder at peak amperage all the time or had longer cables, #2 would be the better choice. Being that it lasted as long as it did at a high school, seems good enough for me. Even Lincoln Electric couldn’t find info on the cables. To his credit, he said I could buy the cables cheaper at a generic supplier. I knew that already, but I gave him a chance to sell since he made an effort to help. My call started at Baker and they actually offered to transfer me directly to Lincoln Electric.

Projects? We’ll see how my learning goes. I need to repair a gate right off. That’ll be easy. I’ll make some interactive shooting targets. I need a simple rear bumper with D rings. I need a couple of light tabs on my front bumper.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Nice projects, I am learning to weld (not great with a welded but good with a grinder). I really need gas for my setup (Hobart MVP 210). The plasma cutter is fun though.

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
When I was getting serious about welding, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos which were a great help. When I started learning TIG process, I watched a whole bunch of videos. Still have a long way to go with TIG.

Plasma is amazing! When I need to cut a piece of aluminum sheet, even very thin sheet, I roll out the plasma torch.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dream White Elephant gift to bring to a party is a gift card that causes the person to spend more money to redeem the money. Affectionately, that’s this welder. The welder itself is in attractive old good shape. It’s the other needed things that add up. I’m gold to a hobby vendor.

Wife - What did you just spend $270 on?
Me - A welding helmet.

She actually took it well 😎

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
A quality auto-dark helmet will save your eyes and make it easier to become a better weldor. In an adult ed welding class I took a few years ago, the instructor wouldn't let us use an auto-dark - I got very frustrated trying to run beads on a 6"x6" coupon.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was a traditionalist huh? The availability of newer technology is the only reason I went forward with welding. I can see where he’s coming from as a teacher, but I’d rather stack the deck in my favor toward safety and success. With that in mind, I watched a lot of YouTube on welding helmets. I asked the guy who welded my cat (exhaust) if he had any advice for me. He simply said do a lot of beads. Just curious John, were you able to progress with passive darkening? Seems like it would be easy to flash yourself. <—-Jargon I learned off YouTube.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I picked up a free Lincoln Electric AC 225 from the high school where my son teaches. It needs new stinger(25') and ground(15') cables. Do you know what gauge those would be? It came with a beefy extension cord so I'm not trying to go longer on the cables. Do you prefer a particular cable source?

I already upgraded the 8 gauge to 6 to the garage and put in a 50 amp breaker. I have a LE 3350 helmet coming Friday from Baker's Gas.

Thanks
My Lincoln 225 welder uses 4 gauge with no problems

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bro. Your clarity made me smile.

Reactions: mac

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
He was a traditionalist huh? The availability of newer technology is the only reason I went forward with welding. I can see where he’s coming from as a teacher, but I’d rather stack the deck in my favor toward safety and success. With that in mind, I watched a lot of YouTube on welding helmets. I asked the guy who welded my cat (exhaust) if he had any advice for me. He simply said do a lot of beads. Just curious John, were you able to progress with passive darkening? Seems like it would be easy to flash yourself. <—-Jargon I learned off YouTube.
Oh yeah, the welding instructor was very old school. He taught ag at our high school when kids were riding horses to school :).

Yes, burn those rods, I hated stick welding until I got my little Esab 161LTS - it's an inverter model and does DC - 10x easier for me to strike an arc using DC.

Never heard of passive darkening; after using a few inexpensive but fairly okay auto-dark helmets I bought a 3M SpeedGlas. Great helmet and lots of adjustments possible with the head heardware.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered #4 cable and they sent me #2. Cable replacement is finished. Installed a new electrode holder. Fired up the machine with a 6013 rod and a steel plate in terrible condition. Auto darkening was fantastic. Right off the bat I understood scratch starting and got a feel for the rod being consumed. Heck, I was just breaking the ice seeing what it was like. I love welding.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks. I used the #2 they sent. I browsed Tractor Supply. Thanks for the source. It's not that far, and outside of the box for what is around me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 2 Lincolns...the MIG SP135 Plus is for the little jobs and I can roll it around the shop where needed because it's a plug in...the Precision Tig 275 is hard wired and good for the big stuff...the ground cable is 2/0 so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I learned how to weld at a local adult school and ended up helping the instructor over the years until I moved away. He let me have as much metal as I wanted as long as I paid the little bit of tuition charged. It was a good win-win. I did not do stick or oxy because I just liked MIG and TIG and they do what I need. We used oxy for cutting but the local 2-yr colleges still teach it to beginners. My instructor told me don't bother learning stick unless I'd be welding big pipe like for oil fields and such. I love melting metal together no matter how it's done.

·
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll see where it goes. I know I'm not going to take a class, but just do a lot of beads. I'm pretty sure I won't upgrade. The world that it offers I accept. Even if I don't use it that much, I don't think I could ever sell it. Right now I'm being a parent to myself and saying no to temptations like plasma cutters and all :)

·
3,746 Posts
I enjoy welding as well. Was taught in highschool metal shop many years ago but have room for improvement. I have my GI Bill to use to attend a tech school if I decide to quit working my post-military job and slow down a bit.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
I enjoy welding as well. Was taught in high school metal shop many years ago but have room for improvement. I have my GI Bill to use to attend a tech school if I decide to quit working my post-military job and slow down a bit.
I used my Old GI bill for a 2-year school for HVAC, then went to welding school for a few months before I moved. I would have liked to have finished welding school!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts