Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the locker mod, which will allow me to use the lockers in 4 and 2 hi. To do this, I ground a wire that makes the computer think that 4 lo is engaged.
My question is how to wire this into a lighted switch. I want the switch to be on when the mod is engaged so I don't screw something up turning it on at the wrong time.
The switch has 3 connectors. Ground, power and acc. So if I take the sensor wire, and plug it into acc, and take the ground and plug it into the power, the switch turns the mod on and off.
Is it even possible to get the light in the switch to work in this case. It seems to me that adding 12v to this equation is just going to short out something.
Everyone else is just using a regular toggle switch. Is this the route I have to go.

Thanx,
Brian

G

·
0 Posts
You can use a Single-Throw, Double-Pole (STDP) Switch with an internal or external light. This type of switch actually connects two sets of contacts when it is switched to the 'On' position. Use one set of contacts to switch the signal lead to ground, and use the other set to pass 12V through the indicator light. If you can't find an STDP switch, a Double-Throw, Double-Pole (DTDP) switch will work just as well.

The last time I looked, Radio Shack had several types of each available. One thing to be aware of is that switches have a current carrying capacity. I don't know enough about the circuit you are working with to be sure what is required. Don't believe it could be more than a few amps, but I would stay away from the micro switches that have current capacities measured in terms of milliamps. The contacts may be too delicate and will overheat in this application.

I will work on a diagram of these circuits, but am not sure how to add a diagram to a post. Please let me know if you know how.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my other though on the way to go. My first hope was to add 12v to the ground side and ground to the 12v side. Just not sure that the switch will keep the 12v out of the circuit. Your way does seem to be alot safer.

Thanx,
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts