Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting in and out for my wife got worse after it was lifted 3 inches. I saw these steps at a Jeep rental place in Moab and they told me they had zero problems with them. Keeping the Jeep available for rental is of paramount importance for such a biz, so I valued their input.

We were going to be in Logan, Utah where they are made, so I ordered them. Very pleased with them, my wife is even more pleased. While I like them, I may disconnect my side, as I have no problems getting in since I am 6'4". Either that or I will learn a new move for getting in.

We got a tour of the plant, several buildings, eat off the floor clean, everything automated. Quite impressive. They are expanding production and will be tooling for the Bronco.

Available for the JK and JL and Gladiator.

Here's a link to the company. https://www.rockslideengineering.com/

I am not in anyway affiliated with them.

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
I've seen a few electrics steps here and there on Jeeps, you have to be careful with them though. I use my sliders sometimes against a rock to pivot around a tight turn. A friend had them on his highly built JKUR (hemi, 40" tires, etc.) and I was running a trail with him - he hit his steps on something and they opened up and wouldn't retract (or something like that). He had to beat on them to use the manual retract feature.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have RS steps on my LJ after 4 years they worked pretty crappy. So - at the Jeep Safari Rockslide took my rig and completely rebuilt them. Parts the were replaced were the motors, the bushing on the pivot points, and brackets now stainless. I hope the bushing are better. Great service, They loaned me their truck for the day. The product is now up to Gen 3 with the ongoing improvements. So I have the Gen1 outer metal and the gen3 guts. They come powder coated, but the bottoms are now pretty sandblasted. No dents and plenty of scratches from the rocks. It is required to open them up and hose out the crap they collect on a regular basis. The drain water adequately.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
We have the Gen II RS steps on our JKUR. They did give some trouble, I sent them in and they upgraded them to Gen III with stainless steel drop arms and better bushings/motors etc. All under warranty. They have been trouble free since then. They do still make 2 versions I believe, one that is heavier duty and will take rock hits better, wish I would have gotten that model, ours are bent slightly from rocks, I think the heavier ones would have handled that obstacle better. I straitened the driver side, it was the only one that was noticeable, it still worked well even when it had a slight bend in it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the internal parts I saw in the plant were stainless. The stress test machine on the Gen3 had passed 300,000. I doubt we will live that long.

I must be doing something wrong I don't think I ever scraped the rock rails I had before these. Almost everything else underneath, but not the rails.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,106 Posts
All the internal parts I saw in the plant were stainless. The stress test machine on the Gen3 had passed 300,000. I doubt we will live that long.

I must be doing something wrong I don't think I ever scraped the rock rails I had before these. Almost everything else underneath, but not the rails.
I'm gonna try ordering for my JT .. ( not cheap )
saw them on a JL was impressive to see in person
No holes drilled install
F3E6FCEF-3B1F-4463-91D0-D5A4DDEE5C6A.jpg
:wink2:

·
Registered
290 Posts
The JL version would be great. I did the install on my LJ by myself and it was not an easy task. Of course that is the straight forward mechanical task that can be overcome. The electrical is another thing that takes time. The kit comes with the wiring for a 4 door which means there is way to much wire for a 2 door. I chose to strip out all the unused wires. Took more time. With a 4 door no need to remove stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hope they are stronger than they used to be as the Gen 1's would get bent then the step wouldn't retract correctly. IMO they should allow more clearance to account for deformation in case the rock guard does bend a little so the step will still function.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The step itself is still the same from what I see on G2, 2, & 3. To bend it you have to find a pointed rock the hits it directly. The mounting frame (rock guard) will take a bad hit, but is vulnerable. Of course they sell an addon plate the makes the frame much stronger and provides a recessed step like the JL version.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the AMP steps and right now they will not retract up or down all the way. Happened when our Jeep group was going up a muddy road approaching Moab this spring. I have washed them and lubed them several times but still they are in the up position and the power plug pulled to keep them there. I called the company and they said to take the mechanism apart and wash and lube and go through the install set up again. I will be doing that soon. When they are back to working order will sell them and go with the rock slider with the retractable step. Still I have heard that those steps can get sticky and hang up as well when it's cold or they get dirty.

The wife says just go with a rock slider without the steps and that maybe what I will need to go with.

Here is the Jeep while we were exploring a road in Arches NP near Moab. This trail got surprising difficult heading to the Colorado River overlook. Steps are up and locked in that position:(

I'll throw in why I haven't gotten to the steps yet. Been in San Fransisco. Home now so be going to work on the pesky steps. This shot is down the cliff face from the cannon batteries at the Presidio that guarded the Golden Gate since the 1780's, Spanish and the USA since 1847. The latest were heavy fortifications during this century to protect from an invasion into the bay by battle ships. WW2 also saw improvements in cannon and defensive emplacement positions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts