Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard that Red Rock Wheelers were denied their permit and EJS 2021 is not happening in 2021.

Meanwhile, in California KOH is happening right now.

Reactions: mac

·
Administrator
15,138 Posts
maybe end of April would be a good time to visit....first part of May
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
🤫

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COVID numbers in Utah have been trending much lower. The county is over-reacting if you ask me... Meanwhile Hurricane and Sand Hollow UT are doing well. Surprisingly California is allowing KOH, but Utah is closing EJS

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I (they) may have spoke too soon....hold on for a bit:

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
There are a number of businesses in Moab that rely on these events. Some must have come forward to mount an appeal.

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here it is...

Reactions: DAA and Desert Dog

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
There are a number of businesses in Moab that rely on these events. Some must have come forward to mount an appeal.
There are definitely a few businesses that rely on EJS and similar events. But... Moab today, bears no resemblance to the Moab of 15-20 years ago. No resemblance. Let alone the Moab of 30+ years ago when I thought that is where I'd hope to live if/when I retire.

Moab has been entirely taken over and consumed by industrial tourism of the type propagated by companies like Patagonia el al. Environmentalists hold a majority position on the city council, for instance.

New hotels are springing up at what is to me, a disgusting rate. And they're all full almost all the time. And it's not off roaders filling them up.

And the people that are filling them up, along with a good portion if not a majority of the locals, are getting pretty sick and tired of the noise and shenanigans associated with some of these events. I personally, don't think EJS, is one that they are particularly getting sick of, but the SxS stuff is definitely pissing off a lot of the residents.

Bottom line though, Moab outgrew the actual need of Jeepers a LONG time ago. They have mostly been tolerating us for at least a decade.

I personally got pretty tired of the vibe in Moab at least ten years ago. I still love the area and visit if frequently, but the town itself? Meh... Where I once saw myself retiring to, I don't really even care to have to drive through on my way to somewhere else anymore.

- DAA

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Your observation is pretty much my own. I don’t care for crowds so never did EJS, but have enjoyed the trails on three visits to the area. It seems crowded any time time now.

·
Administrator
11,205 Posts
St George in my opinion has taken the 'where to wheel in Utah' title from Moab. When I wheeled there with our FMCA 4wheelers six or seven years ago trails were poorly marked and trail finding was an adventure in and of itself. The 4wheelers former club president moved there and got very active with the local club and they've made major improvements. St George trails are quite different from Moab (more rocks and less slickrock on many trails) but there's a huge sand dune in Sand Hollow and a state park. Running in sand dunes requires different skills - it's a blast.

·
Registered
672 Posts
St George in my opinion has taken the 'where to wheel in Utah' title from Moab. When I wheeled there with our FMCA 4wheelers six or seven years ago trails were poorly marked and trail finding was an adventure in and of itself. The 4wheelers former club president moved there and got very active with the local club and they've made major improvements. St George trails are quite different from Moab (more rocks and less slickrock on many trails) but there's a huge sand dune in Sand Hollow and a state park. Running in sand dunes requires different skills - it's a blast.
I have had fun in St George and also over in Escalante. Much smaller town or there. But far fewer trails. One that is cool goes out to the top of the western side of the Hole in The Rock. You can see the steps that were cut in the rock to help get the wagons down the chute. Those folks were certainly a hardy buch. Ther is a museum in town and many of the locals are descendant of the original settlers.

·
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
234 Posts
Without the Vendor show their won't be near as many people going..big reason IMO to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts