Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help. Was out wheeling over the weekend and ended up being a tad more harsh on the jp than usual. This is the prob.

There is a knock (this is what I'm calling it) every once in a while coming from the front end. I noticed this sound once before when i had the lockers on the front on and turned the wheels to one side. I was trying to be carefull on turning them so I wouldn't break the front joints. But over the weekend I was in a really tight spot and had to basically bounce up and over a rock. I've checked everything out i can think of joints, axels etc. with the jp on stands and trying the lockers on dry land and I can't get it to repeat the noise. The dealer says we can't find anything wrong. I'm just wondering if anyone else gets the knock or what else i can look for.

Thanks
Mo

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's all stock tires and suspension.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had some knocking noises this weekend and we found some wear on the tie rod & drag link on the backside where they come together. On a hard right turn the joint is hitting the mount where the steering stabilizer and drag link are connected. I have a 4" lift and I think the drop pitman armhas moved the linkage closer to the mount. Can't find any other reason for the knocks but plan to keep an eye on things.

G

·
0 Posts
Ned,

That sounds like the culprit on mine. I'm replacing the shocks this w/e and hopefully I will notice a difference. I also think it could be the steering stabilizer in some cases.

Someone else mentioned that the sway bar might be off a bit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ned, I think that might help the other problem I'm having with the suspension. The noise I'm hearing now is closer to the front drive axles. I notice it more frequently when I'm up in ruts and rocks and turn to the right. It did make the same noise when i used the lockers for the first time (being a novice) and realized ya can't turn em that far .. As far as the dealer they have no damn clue. So I asked em, what if I'm up in the hills and on a trail and BAM blow a joint out? Will you come and tow me out? LOL he said well ya have 7yr 70, warranty. I said okay but be prepared for the call cuz i'm going to talk to you personally..

Thanks,
Mo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts