Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am not saying this is recommended, preferred, etc. it is what I did to get my rig home.

We pull onto the highway from a hard stretch of boulder crawling south of Spearfish. We were really getting slammed around a lot: hit and broke a rear sway bar, found the rear diff had a leaking--turned out to be a lose screw holding the brake bracket on. The loose screw let the fluid leak out because we we at an extreme angle in a hole. That angle allowed enough fluid out to see that it was horribly contaminated with what appeared to be water.

Now how did I get in the hole? The engine was overheating badly and I was concentrating on the temp and slid off a boulder the wrong way--that was where I shut the engine off at 250 degrees!

Got the new electric fan running again-bad ground. Got out of the hole easily enough with a bit of concentration:wink2: and proceeded to follow everyone to the highway.

Pulled into the highway and at 41 mph the good old DW hit with a vengeance. Braking back down through 30 was even worse. So next trick was get a run at 41 and power through. It worked and although got the start at 41 it settled out and I could run at 55 the 25 or so miles back to the rv park. Once there, it was the old have wife turn steering wheel while layed fingers on every thing in the front suspension. Although this time fingers were not needed. The front JKS track bar was visually sloppy on both ends. Hauled out the tool box and found in our haste to get packed and gone (We had just been let back to our home from a mandatory wildfire evacuation for over a week) I had all 3/8 drive sockets and 1/2 drive ratchets. Got on the Gold Wing and a trip to auto parts produced a 15/16. Got both ends cinched down and the test drive was: HORRIBLE. Tightened everything some more and got enough improvement to allow flat towing and tense driving.

Visiting our son in Utah I found the DW once again getting worse. So I put a high strength ratchet strap end on the track bar mount on the axle housing and the other end to the frame and tightened it very snugly. Watching the rear camera intently, we pulled onto the freeway--in a freaking blizzard. Jeep showed no sign of DW in the next 1,000 or so miles.
image.jpg

Bar ends were elongated and the bushings destroyed. Mount bracket holes were also elongated. New track bar will be here tomorrow and the welder will get the mount holes repaired. Building a couple of rear sway bar links from DOM tubing. Pulled the dif cover and changed fluid in Spearfish before we started back. However at home I pulled the cover and drained the horrible smelling fluid. I also pulled both rear axles and flushed everything with 2 cans of brake cleaner.

And how was your day:wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC I am the welder. This is a Nth degree relocation bracket and it is solid. I believe 50K of hard wheeling and another 25 of flat towing just did in the bushings that led to everything else. Funny I didn't notice anything until I all at once hit!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Reminds me of the time I stripped the end of the tie rod. I used a chain from knuckle to knuckle to tighten it and drove home very. very slowly.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I work with a bunch of young guys and in reality they cannot do anything unless there is a youtube video. Being able to solve problems "Hillbilly Style" is a lost art.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I work with a bunch of young guys and in reality they cannot do anything unless there is a youtube video. Being able to solve problems "Hillbilly Style" is a lost art.
I call that 'common sense.' I have a retired electronic engineer friend that has zero common sense. Zero. I often wonder how he coped with the world beyond designing electronics.

As a side note, having the ability to improvise like Frank did is a critical skill for the trail.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
As a side note, having the ability to improvise like Frank did is a critical skill for the trail.
Or as we used to call it: Good ol' American ingenuity. :grin2:

·
3,425 Posts
Frank, I want to second John's recommendation to look at the OEM trackbar mount on the frame. Not just how the Nth is attached to it. That OEM mount is designed to fail (in my opinion), and you could have a crack just about anywhere contributing to your issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts