Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's on.
Unfortunately, I still have 4 more bolts that have to go into the crossmember. Never would have guessed that I am gonna have to drop the tank to get at those last bolts......maybe tomorrow. I wonder if this is because it's a 19gal tank with protection. Perhaps this would not be a problem on other TJs?
The bumper itself is a work of art. The welds are superb and the paint perfect.
It's in no danger of falling off of the Jeep with 10 bolts between frame and bumper (4 on the bumper and 6 on the frame) and 4 more holding it to the crossmember! And four more bolts to go! If you knock this bumper off you've probably twisted the frame beyond recovery.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Send Pix......Have you tried using a knuckle joint on the ratchet and try and get it in from the side. This will work good if you have a BL. I don't think that you do so see if you can get it in there with an extension and a knukle...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I dont know what you are talking about I had no problem installing mine. You only use the factory holes in the crossmember.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doodoob said:
I dont know what you are talking about I had no problem installing mine. You only use the factory holes in the crossmember.
My crossmember only had holes at the far right and left of the crossmember. The instructions called for drilling 4 more holes and installing 4 more bolts for a total of 8 bolts in the crossmember.
"Some TJ models may not have all 8 mounting locations on the rear frame area. If not, drill 1/2" rear frame (x-member) holes to match the holes on the bumper mounting bracket."
Was your crossmember different?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LILRDJP said:
Send Pix......Have you tried using a knuckle joint on the ratchet and try and get it in from the side. This will work good if you have a BL. I don't think that you do so see if you can get it in there with an extension and a knukle...
Yes, if I had a BL then I could get to the backside of the crossmember from the top......unfortunately I don't have a BL.
Hmmm......maybe that's an easier solution than dropping the tank :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to drill the same holes. It was impossible to get my hand behind there to start the nuts and get a wrench on them to tighten, but the solution wasn't too bad. I took 4 nuts holding the tank skid plate at the rear edge off and the tank sagged low enough for me to do what I needed. It still wasn't easy, but doable. Check my earlier post re these bumpers under the Manufacturers' Forum.

Dan

·
Registered
740 Posts
Latemarch,

You would be drilling and installing the same 4 holes with a Jeeperman bumper too. I dropped the tank to near the end of the mounting bolt threads and used a jointed socket adaptor with tape to hold the nut, lock nut and washer...and I could sneak it in there. A pain, but it can be done.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just went through the instructions and the only one that it tells you to drill for a TJ are the 5/16 self tapping holes in the framerail. CJ's however use a 1/2 drill bit. I believe when I installed mine I even spoke with george about this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Latemarch,
Whats the revision date on the bottom of your instructions? Mine is 1-30-02. If yours is newer than maybe thats why you are required to drill the crossmember. But mine only used 4 bolts on the crossmember (the factory 4 holes). My best suggestion is call and talk to George.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
doodoob said:
Latemarch,
Whats the revision date on the bottom of your instructions? Mine is 1-30-02. If yours is newer than maybe thats why you are required to drill the crossmember. But mine only used 4 bolts on the crossmember (the factory 4 holes). My best suggestion is call and talk to George.
Revision 5/01/03. That may explain something :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up.......

With the help of a friend, flashlight, long 3/8 extention and flex joint, and some sticky stuff, got the last 4 bolts in without dropping the tank.

It was not easy! Took about 40min in all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
durango bumpers

well you guys convinced me. I just recieved my front and rear Durango bumpers and they appear fantastic.I ordered mine with the front reciever also.Hope they fit as well as they look.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the rear system, and it is certainly strong.. I seen a demo at the Easter Jeep Safari where they tried to deform the bumper. They pulled over 30,000 lbs of force on it, and it remained true.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Durango 4x4 bumper

Did you guys get the bumper with or without the tow tabs? Is there any reason to get it with the tow tabs or just get a receiver tow adapter?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got mine with the tow tabs in back and the receiver in front. The tabs are really overkill in the back because I have stock tow hooks on both sides. However, I did have occasion to tow the family car 20 miles using the tow tab and shackle. It was nice not to have any worry of the tow strap slipping oiff the hook. I mainly got them because it was easier to have them from the beginning than to add them later. I can gain some departure angle by removing the stock tow hooks.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Installation

How difficult was it to install? I am considering ordering one and installing it myself. Did you install it or did you have someone else?

Thanks....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Installation

Xair said:
How difficult was it to install? I am considering ordering one and installing it myself. Did you install it or did you have someone else?

Thanks....
Uhhhh, did you read the first page?
Installed it myself. The hardest part is getting the last four bolts that hide behind the gas tank in.

The front bumper is a cinch for anyone but me.
I started to cross thread one bolt and had to get a tap and chase the threads to get it to start right. There probably isn't anyone else here that's this inept. :crazyeyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too ordered mine with the reciever in front and tabs for the rear.I figured that if I have em I will probably never need em.Just like you always carry a fire extinguisher,so you can put out someone elses fire.Seriously if you ever put a boat in the water or manuever a trailer around in a tight spot you will appreciate the front hitch. I also replaced the stock front tow hooks with the con-fer chain hooks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Latemarch,
Called and talked to George today and he told me to go ahead and install the other bolts after I drilled the holes. Also he apologized for the old instructions. It took 2 hours or so to pull it all off, drill, and then reinstall. So I feel your pain on those 4 bolts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts