Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
This is preaching to the choir, but steering stabilizers only mask problems.

I run 37s with no stabilizer at all. No wobble issues. My stuff ain't stock, but just saying.

What issue are you solving for?

I use to run an oversized stabilizer from rancho. Think it was for a CK truck

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Phillip said:
A properly setup steering system does not need the aid of a steering stabilizer.

If your having issues, focus your time on replacing the wore items.
X2 - I run 37s and no steering stabilizer. I am comfortable in my Jeep one-handed driving 75-80 MPH

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JayDub said:
Phillip said:
A properly setup steering system does not need the aid of a steering stabilizer.

If your having issues, focus your time on replacing the wore items.
X2 - I run 37s and no steering stabilizer. I am comfortable in my Jeep one-handed driving 75-80 MPH
i was not try to fix the DW with it i know its just hides the problem i was jsut thinking that it might help more when hitting bumps , i have been chasing the DW for way to long i am fixing to change out the adj rubicon exp track with a currie i guess i am starting to think i need to take to the shop cause i am really not a tech on the steering or sup system.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
My avatar pic has 36's and no stab. For the most part it drove great until I hit a small bump in the road which would wobble the steering wheel.

Once I replaced a few parts it stopped. I won't say how long it took to replace those parts or what I spent. I will say that one part was found by accident when I was over Phillips shop swapping axles. That part pretty much fixed the issue. 115.00 unit bearing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DEERHUNTER said:
Has any found a good way to do this all that i saw are way to low , i am just thinking it may help out a little with the 37's seeing i dont have the cash for hydro right now.
I started down the same path about 2 months ago. I had a bad bump-steer induced DW and was going nuts. The advice you are getting is all good. I bit the bullet and:
1. Replaced ball joints
2. Replaced unit bearings
3. Replaced Steering Pump and Steering gear with PSC set-up (no hydro-yet)
4. Replaced Rusty's Heavy Duty Tie Rod and Draglink (TRE's were shot and almost impossible to find) with Currie Currectlync.
5. Ditched the drop pitman arm and reinstalled the stock PA.
I also upgraded to Chromoly axles to help out with the 37's.

Anyway, after a month of self-wrenching, the world has changed. My Jeep drives as easy as a car. It tracks straight, doesn't have any more DW and no bump-steer. With lots of advice and help from this forum, and maybe a couple of others, you can do it too. I was going to try to go hydro-assist, thinking it would absorb the DW and help turn those 37's, but when I got into the work, I found out the entire front end steering apparatus was worn completely out and my Track bar and Drag link were way out of phase. You need to take a look at the true condition of your front end before you spend any money. All of this stuff is expensive and you don't want to do it twice. Get it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
DEERHUNTER said:
............... i have been chasing the DW for way to long i am fixing to change out the adj rubicon exp track with a currie i guess i am starting to think i need to take to the shop cause i am really not a tech on the steering or sup system.
I wasn't a tech and I'm still not one. A little research and a few dollars in tools and there is not much that you will not be able to do yourself on your Jeep. It beats tossing money at a shop that might place you totally at their mercy.

Outside of that, replacing my RE 1660 with a Currie unit solved my DW but, I methodically eliminated every other possible culprit.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Went through this myself replacing:
1. TREs
2. Torqued the crap out of upper track bar bolt
3. TRE spacer thingy
4. Torqued the crap out of upper track bar bolt
5. Unit Bearings
6. Torqued the crap out of upper track bar bolt
7. Ball Joints
8. Upper Track bar bolt

I got the most noticeable improvement from replacing the ball joints. Also the upper TRE bolt had wallowed out the hole it was in and over torqueing didn't really help. I ended up getting a slightly larger metric bolt and that made a big difference too. I have decided in the future that TRE's and ball joints will get replaced all at once as regular maintenance instead of when chasing steering problems. I also added centramatic balancers but I haven't decided if I like them or not.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise guys , i bought the ball joints about 6 months ago and didnt put them on after a couple of friends looked at them and it decided that they was still good but now they maybe worn out so i think i am going to replce those cause they arent doing any good setting in my jeep room ( junk room) and i also was think that i will replaceing the UCA's bushings there rubicon exp and you can tighten them up about three times before you have to replace them thats what i did to the track bar it help for about two days then was back the same way feeling loosei know that all this has been gone over and over i dont want to :dhorse:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts