Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, can you leave your aux lights on, with the covers, or will it overheat the lamp? My GF was messing with my switches, and turned on my Hella 500s (100 watt bulbs) with the covers on, and it actually looked kind of neat at night. I assume its probably bad for them, but i figured I would ask anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
It can melt the covers even with the stock 55W bulbs. At 100W I'd think that you could turn the covers to goo. I bulbed my 500s up to 85W and they are very bright spots, with yours at 100W they must be great at long range.

Regards, John.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are very nice. I am almost 100% happy with them at 100 watt. I did not even try them at 55, but at 100 they are almost perfect. There is a little "black out" area that bothers me, but other than that they will work until I can get some IPF 968s and a light hoop and windshield brackets. I wired them with a relay and switch and what not, and the Hella relay was 30a, so I think I am safe at 100. Anyway, I think I answered my own question. I ran them in heavy rain for about 30 mins, and they wouldnt come on after I stoped and ate. Wires all look good, no fuses blown, so I think the bulbs over heated. Maybe not, might be a bad connection from the rain, but either way I think I will avoid doing this for now on :)

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
On our ZJ the Hella 500s only work with the hi-beams and I have a big well lit switch to shut them off and let me know that they are on.

I would think that your bulbs could have survived and the problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I will check it out tomorrow. BTW, If you run that green wire that goes to your hi beams, to direct battery power, it will let you use them whenever. I just had a suspision it was the bulbs, because all the fuses are good and the relay is clicking when the switch is flicked on and off. lights wont hit though. all the contacts are good, and it just randomly stoped working after running with the covers on. Guess I will find out tommorrow though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it didn't blow the bulbs, so I guess technially it can be done? Although I wouldn't do it, your probably right about melting the covers off. Now I got to figure out the issue with the stupid lights :p I got power all the way to the switch and back to the relay, the relay clicks, but no power to the black wire anywhere. Grounds are all good and fuses are good (although the black wire isnt fused anyway). Im wondering if maybe the stupid relay mount that came with them is bad? I dont know. Stupid battery terminal clamp just snaped at 30,000 miles too. One of those bad wrenching days :D

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Glad it was not the bulbs, It's possible that something inside the socket melted or the female connector got a bit loose in the heat.

I really do like having the Hella relay attached to my hi-beams so with one click of the stalk everything goes to low beam -- no looking for a switch on the dash etc. But I'm kinda lazy :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about that last night, but I would like total control, as WELL as automatic high beam, but I was being lazy and didn't want to go into THAT much wiring. I got the issue fixed. The fuses were all good, but the fuse HOLDER was not making contact with the fuse. Just cut it out untill I can get a radio shack one on wensday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OEM fog light ?

Bought a used '06 Rubi.

Stock fog lights, without covers/stone shields.

Did the Rubi come with covers/stone shields for the fog's as a OEM item? Original owner did not remember having them.

Are they available? My dealer says no.

Are they Hella 500's? If yes, I suppose I can just call Hella and order some stone shields/covers. The lens is marked Hella.

Anybody have any they would like to sell?

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Re: OEM fog light ?

Driver72 said:
Bought a used '06 Rubi.

Stock fog lights, without covers/stone shields.

Did the Rubi come with covers/stone shields for the fog's as a OEM item? Original owner did not remember having them.

Are they available? My dealer says no.

Are they Hella 500's? If yes, I suppose I can just call Hella and order some stone shields/covers. The lens is marked Hella.

Anybody have any they would like to sell?

[email protected]
I don't think that the stock OEM (but made by Hella) fogs came with a cover -- possibly there is a generic/fits all cover in the aftermarket?

The Hella 500s that we are talking about are aftermarket round generic driving/spot/pencil lights that come in a kit for around $100 with switches, relays and full wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
JCS05Rubi said:
A Jeep dealer once told me they sold covers for the Rubicon hella made fogs. I never did purchase them, since they wanted I believe $30 bucks, but they said they had them.
And if not, check out JC whitney, kragen.com, summit etc. for some of the generic soft covers with foam inside. After a couple of sets of the hella 500 hard covers (they crack after being in the sun for a couple of years) I went with some KC/generic covers for $10 for the set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts