Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a trip from Montana to Alaska via the Alcan in my TJ. Has anyone here made the journey? Any advice or knowledge to share? And, of course, any pics?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get a bra or 3M clear protective film installed on the front of your vehicle, as the rocks / gravel are really bad.

My dad's motorhome was previously owned by someone that drove the Al-Can every year, and they ended up putting 33"x12.5 BFG all-terrains on the front, to keep from getting flat tires on the way there.

When tractor / trailer rigs go by, be prepared to slow down / dodge rocks. They haul ass on the highway.

Be ready to buy a new windshield.... damage is likely.

None of this is from experience, just from what I've heard talking to people that have driven it.

-Howard

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HoJoPo said:
Get a bra or 3M clear protective film installed on the front of your vehicle, as the rocks / gravel are really bad.

My dad's motorhome was previously owned by someone that drove the Al-Can every year, and they ended up putting 33"x12.5 BFG all-terrains on the front, to keep from getting flat tires on the way there.

When tractor / trailer rigs go by, be prepared to slow down / dodge rocks. They haul ass on the highway.

Be ready to buy a new windshield.... damage is likely.

None of this is from experience, just from what I've heard talking to people that have driven it.

-Howard
HA! Sounds like driving in Montana during road construction season. My TJ windshield has already taken several hits.

Seriously, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've driven twice once from denver to eagle river and back and once from sacremento to eagle river. My dad has drive it over 10 times. Like others said watch for loose gravel coming at ya and be prepared for stop and go traffic due to the construction and copious amounts of motorhomes. Have camera ready!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Take extra gas, few stations and far apart. At least that was the case in 98.

·
Registered
45 Posts
BigDuke6 said:
I am considering a trip from Montana to Alaska via the Alcan in my TJ. Has anyone here made the journey? Any advice or knowledge to share? And, of course, any pics?

Thanks in advance.
Check out the milepost.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did it two years ago in my xj- before I knew I was going i put a new windshield in- I made it all the way up without any issues- coming back through Dawson Creek- a county crew doing chip seal tool out the passenger side-

I always fueled up at half a tank- and had one or two close calls-

Satellite radio really is you best friend on a trip like this-

When you get to Moose country- slow down, they will take a rig out- I saw a full size dodge 3500 on a wrecker near fairbanks that had the hood peeled back to the windshield and the bumper was fine.

One of the funniest stories is filling up at a gas station where the generator was running the gas pump.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tsc said:
I did it two years ago in my xj- before I knew I was going i put a new windshield in- I made it all the way up without any issues- coming back through Dawson Creek- a county crew doing chip seal tool out the passenger side-

I always fueled up at half a tank- and had one or two close calls-

Satellite radio really is you best friend on a trip like this-

When you get to Moose country- slow down, they will take a rig out- I saw a full size dodge 3500 on a wrecker near fairbanks that had the hood peeled back to the windshield and the bumper was fine.

One of the funniest stories is filling up at a gas station where the generator was running the gas pump.
Cool info. Any pics to share?

·
Registered
391 Posts
bring extra fuel!! everything closes darn early and the dont take ATM cards(at least not mine) good thing my truck gets almost 800 miles to a tank or I would have been skrewd. if you decide to take hwy37a it was mostly a dirt road(3 years ago anyway) did it at night in the rain-took 11 hours to cover 400 miles. it was an awesome drive though I thought, we crossed in through sumas(out of bellingham) lots of scenery along the way,
did it 3 times in 6 months, up in october04, down in december04, up again in march05
wasnt bad start/finish but it gets awful cold in the middle, but I would definatly do it again just for the heck of it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Driving the Alaska Hiway

X2 for the "Milepost." I've driven the AlCan probably 10 or more times over the last 40 years. No big deal except for: really cold in the winter, lots of construction/road work through the warm months, flying gravel from big rigs going really fast, expensive fuel.... and it's really the pits if you break down. Other than that it's just like any other drive .... only longer! However, since they've paved it and straightened out the endless twists and turns, it's almost like an interstate. Last trip (have not driven it with my jeep) was in my Dodge 2500 CTD with a cabover camper..... on cruise control most of the way! The last couple hundred miles (just before Alaska) is kinda messed up with some horrible frost heaves.... slow down for those rascals!! Above all, pay attention and adjust accordingly.... it's a beautiful (..and long!) trip.
By the way, I do recommend using credit cards (some smaller stations won't take them) when you can as you get the best exchange rate from your cc company..... also it sure doesn't hurt to carry some extra gas (especially with a jeep!) just in case!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Two years ago wife and I drove it from the Calgary area to Fairbanks in Aug/Sep on our Gold Wing. Hit maybe 40 total miles of gravel in sections. Weather was wet and dust was less than normal. Never had a problem finding gas but didn't let the tank get too low.
This May/June we did from Haines to Homer to Tok then down the AlCan to Dawson City. Only 6 miles of gravel and it was well packed. Industrial traffic from Fort Henery to Dawson Creek is quite heavy but manageable. Frost heaves still exist close to the border on both the Yukon and Alaska sides. Slow down for those puppies or go air borne! The Canadians do a much better job of marking them than the US just be careful.
Lots of gas stations, motels, food service out of business, or not open yet for the season. Don't let the gas get low. Ditto on using credit cards-makes the exchange rate issue non existent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts