Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed one of these. I had no leaks in my factory unit, but I read where many of the plastic housings fail.
LOL!
I am 70 years old. I started wrenching before I was 10. I could disassemble a Briggs and Stratton 3 HP engine in my sleep. I worked for John Deere and Caterpillar for a short while. I ran lots of farm equipment and ran a fleet of trucks and other equipment when I was in the cattle business. But I have never seen anything designed as complicated as this plastic 3.6 engine. Terrible engineering. They engineered this to be compact more than engineering to be functional. Why bury a water cooled oil radiator down between the cylinder banks and under the intake manifold? Great place for an oven, but not a cooler. And to replace a oil pressure sender or water temp sender requires hours and hours of labor to get at it.
It was a crazy job. I am temporarily crippled and on a walker which made it more interesting. I let all the air out of the front tires. That made a huge difference. So instead of being a 3-4 hour job that many folks quote doing this job, I spent 3 hours tearing it down one day and maybe a little less putting it back together the next day. Lots of goofy wire connections to get at.
I did spend at least 2 hours just eyeballing this setup. I have mentally designed a billet aluminum plate that would fit where the current cooler is. The plate would have ports in and out for oil to go to an external spin on oil filter and an air oil cooler mounted perhaps in front of the radiator. The water temp and oil pressure senders would get mounted someplace more serviceable. Then I'll design a one piece aluminum intake manifold to go along with the other mods. You guys will all have your credit cards out for my crap.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
I experienced some of that with my son’s Integra. The water pump was behind the driver’s side front wheel, behind the timing chain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts