Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio switched power is NOT turning off when I have my doors off. Saw it stay on 2 hours while I was eating dinner one night. No 10 minute timer, 30 second timer, nada....radio stays on. Even if I pull the faceplate, doesn't help as the OEM amp is not tied into the AMP remote turn on lead of the Alpine head unit. This is in turn leaving the OEM amp on and is killing my battery in less than 48 hours. 07 Rubicon using a PAC radio harness with an Alpine head unit.

I have read every forum thread I could find and have yet to see a solution for this. Any ideas? I used to install car audio for a living, I followed the PAC harness instructions and radio works great. This issue only occurs when doors are off since there is no trigger to turn the radio off and the radio timer that I keep reading about does not seem to exist or possibly this is an issue with aftermarket radios?

Note that if I drive the Jeep daily there are no issues as the battery is being charged before getting too low on voltage, it is only when it sits for a couple days not being driven that this happens. Battery was tested, its actually a new battery from July 2017.

Thanks all

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your door switches are a simple open/closed switch. The vehicle looks for a open door to shut down the accessory delay. If you don't open the door then the delay will time out on its own. Are the other, factory draws timing out? Map light, cluster etc?
Does your Alpine head have any programmable features?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I know that on my TJ I can pull fuse #4 in the glove box to kill the dome light while door less, I am sure you can do the same thing in a JK.
I have seen clips you can put on the door switches to kill the dome light, what are you doing to stop the dome lights?

In the Quadratec catalog there is a dome light switch for a TJ, part # 13029.200, do they make one for a JK? That might work for you.
Just thinking out loud, hope you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Do you have an alarm or power locks? When I walk away from my Jeep with the doors off I still hit the lock button on the key to lock the tailgate and turn on the alarm. That usually stops the radio. Not sure if it would be the same in an 07 as my 14, but I thought it worth mentioning.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Or what happens when you set your accessory delay to zero?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rlenglish - Yeah I understand the open close concept that is not occurring because the doors are absent, headlights ....I am not sure about as I have not tested to see if they time out. I know the odometer WILL turn off after 5-10 minutes. No dome lights are on, no other indicators of anything.

jeff_in_rc - Dome lights are not an issue they just stay off

DK2014JK - Manual locks and windows so I do not have a remote to do this

rlenglish - I have scoured the owners manual and cannot find any way to set the accessory delay to 0, that is exactly what I would love to do. I also have not found reference to this when searching online...bunch of people saying to do it and maybe some directions if you have EVIC but my Rubi is a non-EVIC based on the gauges displaying "Door" as opposed to a picture of a door? There is ONE reference to EVIC in my manual but zero directions on changing any parameters.

Thanks all for your suggestions. In all honesty, it appears to be an aftermarket radio issue. The OEM radio ties into the CAN-BUS so I imagine that it is turned off via that system. Aftermarket radio, simply being a dumb unit will stay powered on as long as ACCESSORY provides power. Somehow, the aftermarket unit is not talking to the Jeep in the special way it needs in order to turn everything off. I really believe this is the issue and the AMP is staying powered on, that is the only thing that I can see pulling enough current to kill a battery in a couple days time.

I believe to fix this I need to determine what wires in the drivers door harness are signaled by the open\close of the door and rig a momentary push button to replicate this. I just find it hard to believe this is required in a 2007 model anything....especially something designed to have the doors removed, hence loosing the door trigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about opening the tailgate? I know there is a trigger in there to turn on/off the dome light, just not sure if it's wired to the radio as well.
As simple as that is I've not yet tested it but will do so. But in a handful of forums, I've seen a handful of responses that state opening the tailgate doesn't do the same as the door....doesn't make sense to me but I'll test it anyway

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Your drivers door connector, the one you unplugged the door from, should be a 10 way connector with only 8 wires. The door ajar sense are pins 7 and 8. 8 is just a ground so if you momentarily short the 7 to ground it would signal a door opening and then put the amp to sleep.
7is violet with a white tracer. 8 is black, 9&10 are empty.
I suspect the problem is that you have a base cluster and the stereo software is for a premium one. The aftermarket sometimes is even worse that a car company for support on older vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your drivers door connector, the one you unplugged the door from, should be a 10 way connector with only 8 wires. The door ajar sense are pins 7 and 8. 8 is just a ground so if you momentarily short the 7 to ground it would signal a door opening and then put the amp to sleep.
7is violet with a white tracer. 8 is black, 9&10 are empty.
I suspect the problem is that you have a base cluster and the stereo software is for a premium one. The aftermarket sometimes is even worse that a car company for support on older vehicles.
Wow you just saved me a bit of time going through the harness. That's what I figured, that all I needed to do was send 12v or a negative with a momentary switch and they would do the job. I work crazy shifts but when I get around to doing this I will update the thread so hopefully someone sees the solution in the future. Thanks !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would it be easier to wire the radio and amp hot wires into a powered relay that is activated by one of the circuits that is switched on only when the ignition is on or the motor is running?
Seems something like that would be a lot more automated, easier for the user than trying to remember having to manually flip switches or do/undo wiring bypass set ups.

I am not the radio wiring genius.
I am lazy enough to want to find a way for the system to cut power automatically when I shut the ignition off.

Just a thought...

Good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it be easier to wire the radio and amp hot wires into a powered relay that is activated by one of the circuits that is switched on only when the ignition is on or the motor is running?
Seems something like that would be a lot more automated, easier for the user than trying to remember having to manually flip switches or do/undo wiring bypass set ups.

I am not the radio wiring genius.
I am lazy enough to want to find a way for the system to cut power automatically when I shut the ignition off.

Just a thought...

Good luck!!
Convenient yes, easier, no lol. The wiring of the relay, determining the correct wires to circumvent...and all that in a vehicle already fussy about it's can-bus system.

Vs

A simple momentary push button located near the driver's door on the dash, one side to ground and the other to the wire looking for a ground. When I turn off the Jeep the radio is still playing, there is my reminder and I just tap it as I'm crawling out of the Jeep

·
Registered
54 Posts
Convenient yes, easier, no lol. The wiring of the relay, determining the correct wires to circumvent...and all that in a vehicle already fussy about it's can-bus system.

Vs

A simple momentary push button located near the driver's door on the dash, one side to ground and the other to the wire looking for a ground. When I turn off the Jeep the radio is still playing, there is my reminder and I just tap it as I'm crawling out of the Jeep

Oh... OK. I thought just the amp was staying on and you could not hear anything to let you know it was still on.

I thought you could draw power for the radio and the amp from somewhere on the fuse block, but have the ignition wire signal the relay to let the power flow through only when the ignition circuit is on. Sounds like the CAN-Bus complicates things a little. Damn computers! Can't live with them, can't live without them...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi noridetoolow. I had to join this forum just to see if you resolved your problem? I have EXACT situation going on with my 2010. You and I are on the same page, I was actually trying to find 4 separate door wiring harness plugs to plug into jeep when doors are off, and just wire or (short) the plugs out to trick jeep into thinking the doors were on and shut. I hope you were able to fix your problem, I've been fighting this for a year and a half.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts