Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some time trying to take of the full-doors last night but I was unable to work them free. I removed the nuts and the straps and even tried some liquid-wrench. :mad:

My neighbour thought I was trying to rock the jeep over with all of the swaying it was doing... still no luck. I am reluctant to get the old rubber mallet out, but I really want the doors off for this beautiful weather.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Take it to the dealership and get them to remove the doors for you and then treat them with something that will prevent this from happening again. The dealership should do this for free and any damages that may occur they will cover. It would be worth it even if you have to pay for it.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
188 Posts
In all my Jeeps that were new, getting the doors off for the first few times was a pain in the A$$. The best I found was just once you take off the nuts, then pull up on the door while swinging it open and closed. It's the pins that turn in the vehicle so after going back and forth for a while, it will widdle its way up. Works for me, hope it helps you,

Damon

G

·
0 Posts
re

How about taking the straps off, opening the door as far as it goes and go at it from the bottom where you remove the nut with a rubber hammer?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: re

troubled_wine said:
How about taking the straps off, opening the door as far as it goes and go at it from the bottom where you remove the nut with a rubber hammer?

I would stear away from that just so that you can make sure not to bend or damage anything...JMO..

·
Registered
454 Posts
The first time I took my doors off it took me quite a long time to work them free. After the first time though, they come off easy as pie. I found the best way was to apply constant upward pressure and walk back and forth to go through the full swing of the hinge. If you are having such a hard time, you might want to get a buddy to help because if that door suddenly comes free you could have a seriously scratched door or fender.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Grow some balls. :) Haha just kidding. Seriously my TJ doors wer a bitch too. Took a lot of grunting and sometimes two people. Even treated. Best of luck.

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I jsut took mine off Saturday. I ended up rolling down the window, grabbing the handle with one hand, the bottom of the door near the hinge with the other and just walking back and forth until they came up. Took a couple of minutes per door and a sore back but they did come off. Just gotta put some ooomph behind it.

Brian

·
Registered
333 Posts
Open door roll down window and open and close and it will start to lift.. After you got it up a little give a sharp tug straight up and its off!!!! The doors are not heavy ya just need to get ready after the tug so ya dont throw or drop it.. I figure they weight about 40 lbs.. Not sure tho.. Good Luck and enjoy the open feeling :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will give it a try again today, and worst case, the Jeep is going in for service so I will have the dealership remove them (just to be safe)

does this mean I have to wear pants while driving now?
:lol:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
hacr said:
does this mean I have to wear pants while driving now?
:lol:
Mark... I don't even want to know :wink:

Get the wife to help you. :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
i took out the Hi-lift jack opened the door and hooked it to the bottom of the door and off it came. ok ok i'm kidding i had the same trouble as everyone else. and i did the same thing just work it. then i put nev-seze(sp) on them and now if one was open and i hit a bump it would pop out of the hinge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts