Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I put a cover on my warn on day one. It doesn't sit outside and I clean it well if it gets muddy or dirty. The cover currently looks pretty rough but the winch looks like new and has never failed in 10 years of ownership. Take care of you stuff and it will last a lot longer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I actually have a cover for my new winch and It will be on it all the time except for when I need to use it.
And I am lucky to be able to park my Jeep inside at night.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
For me, I just think they are really overpriced. I had a warn on my last jeep, and it worked fine, but it was far from cheap.

Cause my wife works for Quadratec, I ended up getting their Stealth winch at a sizable discount. Let me say, 1/10th the cost of a warn. You do the math. So if it breaks, I can replace it 9 times before I get to the cost of a warn.
It's features are pretty awesome with having both wired and wireless options. So I am actually looking forward to using it.

I also know a bunch of people who have rocked the Harbor Freight Badlands winches for years with zero issues and great success.

Sadly, nowadays, you don't always get what you paid for.
Always nice to save money, and yes you can buy 10 for the price of one Warn, but that savings doesn’t help you much when you’re on the trail with a failing cheap winch and you or your buddy are stuck and need to be pulled out. Have had PowerPlants on both our Jeeps for the past 9 years and they are working as well today as the day I got them. Pricey and heavy but the compressor/winch combination can’t be beat. Easy to get parts and support if needed, but none needed so far. Love Quadratec but not too sure about their winches.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I was skeptical at first as well, but they have had excellent reliability. I never wheel alone or in small groups, so being in a situation where my winch is the only option is less than 1%

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was skeptical at first as well, but they have had excellent reliability. I never wheel alone or in small groups, so being in a situation where my winch is the only option is less than 1%
Sounds like you’ve thought it through and you’re not putting yourself in a potentially bad position. I do a lot of business and Quadratec and have nothing but good to say about them. Have to figure they’re probably not going to put their name on a cheap winch. I just love my Warns and I hope people see there are great sources for parts and support.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds like you’ve thought it through and you’re not putting yourself in a potentially bad position. I do a lot of business and Quadratec and have nothing but good to say about them. Have to figure they’re probably not going to put their name on a cheap winch. I just love my Warns and I hope people see there are great sources for parts and support.
I disagree, no parts support for a $1500 winch which is only 7-8 years and they did not seem to care. I spoke to 3 different people there.
"we no longer have that part and will not in the future"
"That part has been discontinued and your winch is no longer supported"
"We do not support that winch anymore and once the current parts we have are gone, we will not carry them"

When asked what were my options?

You can buy one of our current winches...without a trade in for my current one because it is no longer being supported. Like that will ever happen.

For fun go online and pick some parts for your powerplant and see if they have them all, if not you are in the same boat as me. All it takes is one discontinued part and your powerplant could instantly be useless.

Maybe once they had good support, but not anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
No parts for a 7-8 year old winch is pretty bad. That is a major fail for the following reasons.
Warns are way more expensive than just about every other option out there. You are supposed to get some perks for that extra cost. Bullet Proof reliability, better support and parts availability.
But now,
the consumer will shop around because they realize that the extra money they paid, did not net them anything compared to a cheaper option.
Then word gets out, like this thread, where other options are posted, and now the manufacturer loses both old and potential new customers.

·
2,020 Posts
In the last few months I’ve heard several respectable independent sources talk about their good experience with Harbor Freight’s Badlands winch. John Canefield’s Mile Marker hydraulic option intrigues me for reasons he listed. Warn has a very low chance of getting my money after listening to you guys.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I'm just gonna leave these pictures of the work I did today here.

They are not specifically directed at @Norminator but at the same time, they are NOT specifically NOT directed @Norminator
:LOL:
Peer Pressure Peer Pressure
Everyone is getting winches
You know you want one
All the cool kids have them

·
Registered
715 Posts
Usually when someone waves at me it is just with one finger.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I want to be a REAL Jeeper! Is that why nobody waves back at me?
Those pictures are nasty!
Took years building and Elff weeks cleaning it LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to hear there are some good options if my PowerPlant dies and I can’t fix it. However, in contrast to the original comments about Warns’ bad customer service, etc., I have to disagree. Just made my 3rd call to them for parts I need for my 9.5 and Ryan in Customer Service was incredible. Took quite a bit of time to help me figure out the part and I need and he is going to see if he can find it in their inventory and will get back with me today re: availability or feedback from the Service team as to where I might find it if they don’t have it. great attitude and generous with his time helping me find the solution. I disagree that their service is bad. Just passing this along for anyone still open to working with Warn.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts