Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called Warn today, socket on my 9.5TI is corroded. The winch is 7-8 years old and they no longer stock parts, pretty much told me there was nothing they could do. No parts, no recommendation on any fix.

I spent extra money on this winch because I thought if anything would go wrong they would stand behind it.

Don't bother spending extra money on Warn, they will leave you high and dry just like the Chinese companies...

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I’ve heard their support isn’t great.
My smittybilt connector pin assembly’s fail after a couple years and they’ve sent me free ones or I’ve bought them for like $15 bucks. 10 min fix.
Hopefully your warn isn’t too bad.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
For me, I just think they are really overpriced. I had a warn on my last jeep, and it worked fine, but it was far from cheap.

Cause my wife works for Quadratec, I ended up getting their Stealth winch at a sizable discount. Let me say, 1/10th the cost of a warn. You do the math. So if it breaks, I can replace it 9 times before I get to the cost of a warn.
It's features are pretty awesome with having both wired and wireless options. So I am actually looking forward to using it.

I also know a bunch of people who have rocked the Harbor Freight Badlands winches for years with zero issues and great success.

Sadly, nowadays, you don't always get what you paid for.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just saying I have a Warn 9.5 that came with my AEV Jeep Wrangler 2014... It has been terrific pulling out brush on my desert acre;) but never used on the trail!

I have been off roading for years and mostly as a hunter out west and the last 6 years with overland groups... but never have needed to use a winch.

But still chime in on these winch threads for information, just in case. I alway try to study up to be ready to save a fellow Jeeper as ROF John helped out Stinger on Back Bear pass in Colorado, posted a while back.

On the Nevada BDR Goldfield mining district Nevada 2021

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
Hope you can chase the parts down Mike. One of the primary reasons why I bought a MileMarker hydraulic winch was to avoid electrical problems. There's only two low current solenoids to switch direction of the hydraulic flow for forward/reverse. Great winch and 100% reliable.

·
3,746 Posts
I have 2 Warn winches. I've owned the one on my TJ since 2006 and it has been used quite a bit....never an issue.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a SmittyBilt winch and just last week installed a Warn on my mangers Jeep. There is a big difference in build Quality. If you use your winch a lot it might be worth the price. I like nice things but personally I would buy another Smitty.

Part of my monthly routine is the check under My Jeep, check the tires, and run my winch out and in. You can go a long time without using it and do not want it out of order when you need it.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ordered the part from wsp, thanks guys.

It is sad my 20 year old milemarker electric is still going well, but my warn one... BTW my smittybilt one is even owrse, the whole motot body fell apart, I will say that the warn has held up better than the smittybilt.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
I had a MileMarker Electric on my Jeep for about five years, and it worked fine, till one day it didn't. I replaced solenoids to no avail. I went to Harbor Freight one day, a few years back, and a local Search and Rescue team was in the store buying the 12K pound HF winch. I queried S&R, and ended up buying one. I bought the remote also. It has been on the Jeep for about 6 years, maybe more, and it has never let me down. My winch is my man Friday.

·
Administrator
15,180 Posts
Psst. I have a Warn on my JK (which I used today because I was a dumbazz) and a Apex 12k on the garage floor waiting on a new Jeep.... lol

Ron
when is the P.O. coming in on the Gladiator ?
you can still buy mine for a hefty hefty price😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
15,180 Posts
i don't have a winch .... carry a huge 1.5" x 25ft thick tow rope ( viking )
it's kept in the garage - load it up when i go places and served me well since 2005

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
i don't have a winch .... carry a huge 1.5" x 25ft thick tow rope ( viking )
it's kept in the garage - load it up when i go places and served me well since 2005
I have a 4 inch wide, 25 foot yellow strap, but I only use it when I walk my nine shepherds. It does come in handy when you have to pull Amazon vans out of the mud. I should have got lifetime free Prime shipping for that incident.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well they called and let me know they are out, but decided to just hard wire it into the cab.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts