Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my haste to get an oil change a couple of days ago, I took my pride and joy to the local "lube-o-mat". Upon leaving, I discovered my rear locker was engaged. Several hours of attempting to unlock the rear dif resulted in no change. Off to the dealership for emergency repair; their explanation of events:

The "lube-o-mat tech gorilla" apparently over-tightened the diff drain plug (it actually entered the carrier plenum) which resulted in a stuck locker and damaged carrier.

The bottom line, a new carrier + install + removal of 3 pounds of metal shavings= $1600.00

Fortunately some folks actually do "the right thing". The local 'lube-o-mat" owner is footing the bill...

·
Registered
478 Posts
mine was over tightend from the factory and when I checked it the first time in made a loud snap and there was a groove cut in the tip of the plug. when I reinstalled it a put teflon pipe sealant on it and installed it so it didn't rub on the carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
OUCH! That bites.

I got free oil changes for 60,000 miles from the dealer where I bought my Rubi, it is not as convenient as a quick lube place, but at least it's the dealer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yes, I will be doing my own maintenance from this point on...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, your lucky it didn't lock up the carrier on you. I've had a tranny lock on me, not good when your doing 65 on the freeway and the rear wheels stop. At least they are footing the bill for you.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya Ron, after looking at the drain plug it's fortunate that the magnet is relatively soft compared to the plug itself. A couple of more turns on the drain plug and it could've been much worse...

Hank

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'Twas my local Jiffy-Lube; but like I said, they did the right thing and took care of it...

Hank

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More precisely; NW corner of Powers and Constitution in NE Colorado Springs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts