Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thread still alive!

Wow, its been quite some time since I started this thread. Glad to see some people have found the stand usefull. It's getting close to summer here in the NW and I will be putting my hardtop back on my stand in a few weeks. The PDF link should still work. It's on my Rubicon site as well.

http://microbomb.com/Rubicon/

The R in Rubicon has to be in caps, just copy and paste the URL. The PDF is in the mods section.

I would think the Unlimited version would be the same except the upper part might be a bit longer. I might be a bit concerned about stabiliy since the extra weight brings the center of gravity up a bit higher. Secure the stand on the Unlimited to make sure it wont tip over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
RedRubicon04 said:
Because I am a Plumber by trade I have to say it, it might save someone some aggravation, there is a diffeerence between drainage fittings and the ones shown, if you get drainage fittings your project will be all screwed up!!! The take off's are alot different

Very cool write up, going to make one soon!!
Very ironic, I almost got the drainage fittings today at Lowes....Glad I found the others though, I knew that would throw me for a loop. Also, at lowes make sure you get the 10 ft sections. I found out that the 5 foot sections will cost you amost 2x the price, just get the 10ft sections cut in half for free and it will fit in the back of a SWB

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wanted to say thanks. I made mine on Sunday. Works great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick thanks for putting these plans together and getting them out there for us. I put mine together this morning and it works great!

·
Registered
813 Posts
THAT ROCKS!!!! :rock:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just got mine put together Saturday night. Works great, but I started to cement the joints in place, and they started getting kinda crooked. I ended up putting the rest of it together, getting everything just how I wanted, and then shooting screws instead of cementing. Definite preferred method!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Finished mine yesterday, it works great. I made no modifications for my Unlimited top. I nearly killed myself standing the top on end, that sucked is heavy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chuckweed said:
Just wanted to post a quick thanks for putting these plans together and getting them out there for us. I put mine together this morning and it works great!
Thanks from me as well. Put mine together on Saturday and with the wife's help removed and stored my hardtop yesterday. The cradle worked great, I just had to find a spot in the garage that'd handle the height of a LJ hardtop standing on its end. :laugh: Once it's in the cradle, an LJ hardtop stands only ~4" shy of an 8' ceiling.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the stand because its cheap. But kind of dumb to have the heavy half in the air. You know center of gravity...

Also if the heavy half was on the bottom it would be way easier to put on the stand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
calltrex said:
I like the stand because its cheap. But kind of dumb to have the heavy half in the air. You know center of gravity...

Also if the heavy half was on the bottom it would be way easier to put on the stand.
It's actually more stable than I thought it'd be looking at the plans. More weight rests on the middle run of piping than from the point or brow of the top on the base. Once you push the whole thing up against the wall for storage, it's not going anywhere. This also prevents any chance of the weight being born by the back glass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
8) yup, thanks! It works great! Very easy to reposition the top around the garage as needed for periodic garage cleaning.

I used U-bolt clamps to attach 3-inch pivoting/lockable casters to the bottom of mine...

It also fits/rolls easily under the garage door when the garage door is full-up.

The hollow space inside the stored HT makes for a nice place to store the soft windows and doors for when they also come off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
can somebody tell me how these wheels work? i have no idea what kind to get and how to attach them or whatever. thanks. i just did the project a couple days back and wow, my first DIY thanks guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lilbro can you post a few pic's I'd like to see how you did the door
mounts.

jeffwen02 I just picked up four regular plate/dollie wheels
at Homedepot...fairly heavy duty and I matched a few muffler
clamps to the width of the mounting holes of the wheels. placed the curved
flange to the bottom of the wheel plate and the U clamp around the
PVC pipe... a few flat and lock washers and your done. I did use the
wheels that lock too....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just finished mine as well....Directions were great. I bought enough extra to make a holder for my hard doors as well.....

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Going to build mine when it gets warm... Thanks so much for the plans :beerchug:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts