Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well summer is just around the corner here in the great NW. I have been itching to take off my hardtop and put on the soft-top but I had nowhere to store my hardtop. I ended up ordering this hardtop dolly from Quadratec but it was backordered until July. I searched online and found a hardtop stand called the KXStand http://www.kxstand.com/. It basically consists of a bunch of PVC connected together. The problem is they want nearly $350 for it shipped. I sent the website to my brother who is a mechanical engineer and he was able to model the entire thing in Solidworks in less than an hour. We printed out the parts list and headed to Home Depot this last weekend. For under $100 and about an hour’s time we were able to build our own hardtop FreeStand. I took some pics and I have a nice PDF with the parts list and all the proper dimenstions if anyone wants it. All you have to do is cut the PVC and then connect it together. I was going to glue mine but the glue dries really fast and then you cant take it apart in the winter, I might get some screws and screw it together for added strength. I pounded it with a rubber mallet and it seems to be very sturdy.

You can browse the pics here and download the PDF
http://toddpike.wordpress.com/2009/01/2 ... top-stand/

·
Registered
521 Posts
Very cool, I just sold my hard top cuz I didn't have a covered place to keep it and was afraid using one of those dollies outside.

That would have worked well with a cover,

but actually I likely never would have put the hard top back on anyway.

I've never run a hardtop on any of my jeeps, so the extra money from the top just bought me a medic combo, BL & MML that I think will be more beneficial to me :D

really looks great and easy to make, I'm sure alot of people here will get some use out of that...good job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just made one up about a month ago, I'll take some pictures of it whenever I get my digital back or someone elses, which-ever comes first. But I have mine sitting on the back of the top. I used 2x4's for the main base, then a used some PVC for the angle. I also added in a 2x3 that bolts to the bottom of the top, same places that the top bolts to the Jeep, for any possible warping isssues. Then I mounted on some 8" pnumatic tires since I have to roll it so the side of the house through grass and gravel.
So far it seems to be holding up good and moves nice...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sent you an IM, a very cool idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: My brother has been very busy at work and has not had time to update the dimensions on the drawing. I think he might be able to get it done today. I will preassure him and see if we can get it finished. Sorry it is taking so long. One of the tube lengths was about an inch too long in the orginal drawing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PDF File

All right, I had a number of requests for this. Sorry it took so long. My brother reworked the drawing and color coded everything. The casters are optional and not shown. Make sure you use eye protection and gloves when cutting the PVC. I used a miter saw but a hack saw would be fine. The smaller tooth blades work best. A rubber mallet is a must have item. If anyone has any questions or suggestions we can incorporate it into the drawing. Enjoy. Free Stand PDF

If I recall we ended up buying 6 of the 10 foot PVC tubes.

One more thing. I have since taken off the little leg parts that are supposted to make it more stable. I have it standing against the wall in my garage so there is no way it is going to tip over. The drawing doesnt show the foam padding either. We used regular pipe padding. The biggest size they had at home depot worked great. I think it was 2 5 or 6 foot pieces.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I did the exact same thing last year. This thing is really great. Saves so much room storing the hard top compared to hanging it from the ceiling or setting it on the ground. You do not need the "wheelie bars" as shown, they do nothing to help keep the top blanced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you keep the rear window glass from popping open? I saw online somewhere clamps to hold it shut, but they were like 20 bucks, any other (cheaper) ideas? Can you just simply undo the gas struts?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
When the top is standing on end, the rear window doesn't open. When lifting it on/off the jeep I just use a long ratchet strap I had lying around that has hooks on both ends and hook it to the door surround area and around the window to the other side. no problems holding the window closed.
Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
Geat write up!!

I made mine this weekend with your help.

I also put in 2 cross bars in the front pocket to hold my doors, too.

Thanks

Kevin :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on! Lets see some pics. I was thinking about doing that. I have my softtop side and back on the middle part of the stand right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! I also built the stand this weekend. Your write-up made it very easy and the PVC came to $71.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I built one about two months ago, and I love it. About 2 weeks ago it blew over in a wind storm, so I definitely recommend if you are storing it outside to glue the pieces together. Otherwise it is great!!! Thanks, for the great write up Microbomb!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I finished mine last weekend.... the pdf file
worked like a charm...I have the length measurements..
it was 7 pieces at 10 ft. with approx a 4 ft section left over..
if you like I'll post up the section lengths and order. I used a
12" chop saw with a fine blade. A little overkill but the cuts
were right on the money... a tip O the hat to Mr. Micro....

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Because I am a Plumber by trade I have to say it, it might save someone some aggravation, there is a diffeerence between drainage fittings and the ones shown, if you get drainage fittings your project will be all screwed up!!! The take off's are alot different

Very cool write up, going to make one soon!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: WRITE-UP

baddlord777 said:
Now we need a write-up for the LWB........ :D
Yeah, I just printed his pdf and was hoping to have time to check the measurements against my LJ's top this weekend to see just which sections need to be extended. If I get the time I'll amend his pdf and post an LJ version back here in this thread. From just a quick glance, the only thing that should need changing is the length of the yellow riser sections.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts