Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding the front diff is open and the rear is a limited slip when not locked up.

Today I put the jeep up on jacks and when turning a rear tire the other tire turns the opposite way and when turning a front tire, the other tire does NOTHING. Seems like the rear diff acts like an open diff and the front acts like it is broke. I did this while in two wheel drive because I could only lift one end at a time but I don't think it should matter.

This seems a little wierd to me.

I am not familiar with this style of differential with the helical gears etc.. so
can someone check theres out and report back if this is normal.

I always thought that an open diff would turn the tires the opposite way and the limited slip would turn the tires the same way.

The jeep drives great, makes no strange noises and the lockers lock/unlock just fine so I am sure it is OK. I am still in the learning stages, lots of stuff is different compared to my old jeep.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Your jeep is operating as it should. I did the same thing this weekend to the front end...one turns, the other sleeps. Open diff.

If the other tire on the same axle was touching the ground in the front, you would still be able to turn the tire (in theory). In the rear you wouldn't be able to turn the lifted tire if the other was on the ground.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ned,

Thanks for the quick reply, this board is great!!

Here is another question. When you turn the rear it will spin for a little while by itself, at least a few revolutions before coming to a stop.

When you spin the front, there is a lot of resistence and it doesn't turn by itself much at all before it stops. I understand that you have the brakes, the wheel bearings, differential etc... that add friction but I was very sureprised to see the difference betweent the two considering the rear is pretty much the same. Should the front spin a little more like the rear or is this normal too?

It almost seems like the brakes are dragging more in the front.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. As I understand it, the driveshaft up front is always spinning and you are simply disconnecting the wheels from the driveshaft. Out back, the driveshaft is connected at all times. So, the drag is likely very different (although, like you said it is not the way I would expect it either.....front would seem like it would spin much more easily).

I'm no driveline expert and I'm probably in over my head already....but I did spin my front wheels this weekend (so I felt qualified to respond)! :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I assume that your fronts didn't spin much either and had more drag on them?

doesn't make sense to me but I am sure there is a good explanation for it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The disconnection in the front is in the transfer case. When you turn the front wheels the front driveshaft will also move. This is could have been the extra resistance you felt.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
triver525 said:
The disconnection in the front is in the transfer case. When you turn the front wheels the front driveshaft will also move. This is could have been the extra resistance you felt.
Definately for the front.

If you could spin the rear really fast and hard then you would see the second tire go the same direction. You have to make it slip before it will engage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts