Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed or have other experiences with front/rear differential protective covers? Tube type or steel plate such as offered by http://www.poisonspyder.com? I've noticed many rigs do not address this at all but concentrate on the engine skids, etc. Anyone ? :?:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I think I should get on it soon. The service Dept. make a comment on my diff cover bolts being a little lacking in edges.. :shock:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the poison spyder rock rings. The "old" style had a thick ring that would hit in the front. I thought once it was lifted it might not be an issue but I found that it would hit smack in the middle of the ring with flex. I have the Warns front and rear and I am really pleased with them. I heard that Poison Spyder is working on a new design with a thinner ring. The quality of their product was great, I just wish they fit better.

G

·
0 Posts
Cal said:
walc said:
I bought these, front and rear, on eBay and I'm very pleased w/ them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2421310353
I bought two of those, but I can't use one on the rear - it just slightly rubs the Kilby gas tank skid.

The front works great.

Also changed the diff fluid when I installed them - 8K miles.

Cal
Good to know.
I won't buy the Kilby gas tank skid.
I've been planning to buy the Skid Row gas tank skid. I hope I don't have the same problem.

G

·
0 Posts
I like the Kilby skid and would do it again. Also have Kilby dual battery tray. Brad makes great stuff.

I will just put a different diff skid on the back.

You want the one I'm not using? $30.00 + shipping.

Cal

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Get the Warn covers. They can be found for $65 from a number of vendors.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Cal said:
You want the one I'm not using? $30.00 + shipping.
Cal
Thanks; but, I already bought 2, on eBay, and I hope I won't need a 3rd. :D That is a good price, if someone else wants to buy yours. I'm a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WARN Diff Covers

Thanks Jerry,
Do appreciate the pics on the Warn plates for the diff. I like those. Best price and not overkill. I was worried about the clearance between covers and the tie rod, etc. with Warn, no clearance issues. I believe you sold me on these.
Many Thanks!
Bill :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Being a cheap ******* I got a Dodge D44 cover from the wrecker, cut a hole for fill plug access, notched the edges to not use the two upper corner bolts, and mounted it in front of the stock cover with longer bolts and a couple of washers in between. The two covers together give 1/4" of metal, which should be lots for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I got mine from Rocky Road outfitters and they are Rock solid. Real tuff, with a full ring around the diff. cover and not just the bottom half. The front took a good hit in June at Paragon and only has a few scratches. I would recommend these anyday.
http://www.rocky-road.com/jprockguard.html

And Also look at it this way, if you are going to armor you Jeep why not do it right and install all the protection you need. That way you don't get stuck out in the middle of nowhere because you were cheap. It's better safe then sorry. Just my .02

Just on question.... how do you guy's get your picture up on this site... I would post some tech stuff if I knew how Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
rubicon789 said:
I...And Also look at it this way, if you are going to armor you Jeep why not do it right and install all the protection you need. ........
Exactly - "what you need". I don't wheel in rock much, and in fact I don't know anyone who has punched in a dif cover on a local trail.
Not spending $150.00 on dif covers allows me to get synthetic winch line instead, which is used much more often and will add to my personal safety. We all need to do the best we can within the budget we have.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Does anyone here use 4xDoctor diffguards? I believe they were the first to come out with diffguard.

Their diffguard hangs low enough so that rubbing does not seem to be a problem (especially for rear axle application).

Just wondering how well they work on the rocks?

This is their diffguard on a Dana 44

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is what I want. I would finally get to see what my locker looks like as it engages.

Check out the website, these things are actually pretty cool. I dont' know how long they would be so clear though, a couple of good scrapes and they'll look like your soft top windows.

http://www.cleargearz.com

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know this is kind of late but I've decided to go with the Poison Spyder Rock Rings. A local dealer out here has a group buy going on 15% off all posion spyder stuff. I can't beat that deal for some kickA$$ rock rings. I've seen them tested on his Jeep and that's why I'm going Poison SPyder.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
ordered mine today.....

comes in red or black powdercoat.

:wink:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts